Remember this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2850272215_2b893580d2.jpg

This. In the theater, on a big screen without the crappy re-imaginings. Then waiting a decade or so to see it again when the family FINALLY got a VHS player.

image-4153129678.png

Conjunction junction, what's your function.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt many of you remember this, but it inspired a life-long hatred of marketeers, salesmen and advertising in general. I paid a couple months' income for one and it never worked. Engine wouldn't start, didn't fly tethered and I couldn't get my money back.

wingthing.jpg

It was called "The Wing Thing" and supposedly the model airplane engine would fly it like miniature hang glider.

AFX Rocked in the 80's.

HO_019.jpg

This was one of my favorites.

AFX_rd_Baja_Bronco1.JPG

I also had this one.

afx_wood_bod.jpg

Bought my kids a Carerra slot car set in attempt to relive the old AFX days.

Fecking thing SUCKS! Cars don't hold to the road near as well as the AFX cars did.

Bought my kids a Carerra slot car set in attempt to relive the old AFX days.

Fecking thing SUCKS! Cars don't hold to the road near as well as the AFX cars did.

I've been contemplating getting a slot car set for ****s and giggles, but I've been thinking that modern ones might suck. AFX was great. We used to mod the cars with weights, different magnets, different tire materials, you could do all sorts of fun stuff. We used to do tractor pulls with them, or have mini ramps to jump the cars. Hours were spent down in my basement or my best friend's listening to THIS album over and over and over.

27810.jpg

I have been dying to figure out the name of a zip-line toy I had when I was a kid.

It was probably made in the late 80's/early 90's.
It resembled a submarine but with two pulley wheels on the top. A long kite string ran through the pulley wheels and attached at each end was a handle. You would tie one handle to a doorknob or have a friend hold it. When you lowered your arm, the toy would zip line towards you and opposite when your arm was raised.

If I recall it also had a black plastic "J" hook on the bottom and the toy came with a hollow sphere that you could use to try to pick up off the ground. I believe it was, as were a lot of toys back then, brightly colored. I think one side of the toy was a bright pink and the other a bright neon green/yellow. I even remember being with my mom when she bought the toy at a Roses store. One person I recently asked argued that that couldn't be as the toy was one of those "as seen on "tv" toys. I don't think it was.

Anyone have an idea or remember this toy?

I have been dying to figure out the name of a zip-line toy I had when I was a kid.

It resembled a submarine but with two pulley wheels on the top. A long kite string ran through the pulley wheels and attached at each end was a handle. You would tie one handle to a doorknob or have a friend hold it. When you lowered your arm, the toy would zip line towards you and opposite when your arm was raised.

If I recall it also had a black plastic "J" hook on the bottom and the toy came with a hollow sphere that you could use to try to pick up off the ground. I believe it was, as were a lot of toys back then, brightly colored. I think one side of the toy was a bright pink and the other a bright neon green/yellow. I even remember being with my mom when she bought the toy at a Roses store. One person I recently asked argued that that couldn't be as the toy was one of those "as seen on "tv" toys. I don't think it was.

Oh good lord, I do remember that toy! Really wish I could remember the name, though.

How about one of these? I rode it again this winter. Wanted more snow...for the most part we didn't really have a winter in MSP. I shoveled driveways when I was about 11 or 12 to earn the money to buy it. Wish I would have had the insight Burton did to improve on it!!!

image-2859666993.jpg

Rugrad02 said:

Oh wow, I completely forgot about those! I had one and used it to death, making it do flips and smash into your partner's fingers...

Rugrad02 said:

Swoosh balls?

JonM said:
Swoosh balls?

No, it wasn't a swoosh ball. My description has lead people to that same conclusion in the past. The swoosh balls were no more than a hollowed out nerf football with 2 cords running through it. The toy I was referring to had a single line going through a couple pulley. Also, it couldn't be "shot" at the person on the other end like the swoosh balls could be. Those things scared me. The toy I'm trying to think of was no more than a miniature zipline that you could control.

Latest posts

Back