Reiterating Mash - Water Treatment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I going to do a Reiterating Mash for a very big stout, I'm clear on the mechanics of the procedure but I've found nothing about water treatment for that procedure.

If you have any experience of this method please share what you water treatment you did.

Many Thanks aamcle

It's using the runnings from the first mash as the strike liquid for a second mash. I assume you'd treat the water for the first mash like any other. For the second mash, maybe your starting 'water' profile needs to match the ending profile from the first mash? Although if you sparged any, there'd have to be some additional adjustment?

I believe John Blichmann did some experiments with it for a Brewing Network podcast, but the details escape me. I've done it once or twice before and posted something about it a while back but got derided for even suggesting it as an option for a high gravity beer!

Edit... found a good write-up on the process:

https://byo.com/bock/item/1317-reiterated-mashing-multiple-mashes-for-massive-brews

Thanks for the link, I expect to brew some time in the next two weeks.

ATB aamcle

Interesting technique. Thanks for the info.

The first runnings should be at about the correct wort pH and you probably wouldn't need to do any more treatment on those runnings.

I sure would assume that the efficiency of this technique is really low, but its a means to an end. I would just use extract in the kettle to fortify my big beers. Good luck.

I've done that before. You will see very low efficiency on the second mash. If I remember correctly it was 30-35%.

Beer turned out fine but it wasn't worth the grain in my experience.

Latest posts

Back