Rehyrating Two Packets of Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
I'm brewing a Cranberry Saison tomorrow with a predicted OG of 1.080 so I'm going to use 2 packets of Belle Saison dry yeast.

I'm planning on rehydrating as usual but I've never done this before with two packets of dry yeast. Should I double the amount of water because I'm using two packets or do I use the same volume of water that I would use if I was rehydrating one packet?

I'm thinking that obviously I would double the amount of water but wanted to run it by the forum since I've never even thought about rehydrating two packets of yeast before.

I know the process for rehydrating a single packet. What I'm asking is the process for two packets? Do you double the volume of water (8oz), rehydrate the two packets separately or go with the same volume I would use for a single packet (4oz)?

I don't know about the specific instructions for that yeast but i know on safale us05, it says minimum 10 times the yeast weight of sterile water. Assuming the directions for that yeast are similar, yes you should use more water

I know the process for rehydrating a single packet. What I'm asking is the process for two packets? Do you double the volume of water (8oz), rehydrate the two packets separately or go with the same volume I would use for a single packet (4oz)?

"Sprinkle the yeast on the surface of 10 times its weight in clean,
sterilized water at 30-35°C (86-95F). Do not use wort, or distilled or
reverse osmosis water, as loss in viability will result. DO NOT STIR.
Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes, then stir to suspend yeast
completely, and leave it for 5 more minutes at 30-35°C. Then
adjust temperature to that of the wort and inoculate without
delay."

edit: to be clear, the instructions are written based the weight of the yeast used, not the number of packets.

Last edited:
I don't know about the specific instructions for that yeast but i know on safale us05

Personally, I treat each strain of dry yeast as if it was unique. All it takes is a quick look at the product information sheets for for Belle Saison and US-05 to see noticeable differences.

to generalize the point, maltsters, hop providers, and yeast labs have a lot of good, current information at their web sites.

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 25 to 29°C (77°F to 84°F).
Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition
From safale website

Personally, I treat each strain of dry yeast as if it was unique. All it takes is a quick look at the product information sheets for for Belle Saison and US-05 to see noticeable differences.

to generalize the point, maltsters, hop providers, and yeast labs have a lot of good, current information at their web sites.

That's why I said,
I don't know about the specific instructions for that yeast but
. Yes, strains are different. My point was that yes, you should probably use more water.

I've heard that Belle Saison can be hard to get rid of after using it, and since it's saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus it can attenuate more than other yeast.

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 25 to 29°C (77°F to 84°F).
Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition
From safale website

Furthermore ... if you want to create an active larger pitch for higher gravity ales over 1.050, use a .5 liter volume of mixed water and wort using two 11.5 gram packets.
The gravity of the liquid starter should be weaker than your wort, say near 1.030. Just follow the normal directions and add this active, vigorous starter directly into the primary.

Back