Quantcast

Rehydration

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Guff

Reaction score
Long time drinker, first time brewer (outside of dumping a bunch of lemons/water/yeast/sugar into a cooler and watching).

My question pertains to adding ingredients to the cider and if/when to dilute said ingredients in water prior to adding them to the cider.

I added sugar and yeast nutrient directly into my cider about 15 minutes prior to pitching the yeast (which I rehydrated in some recently boiled water for approx 15 minutes.) Should I have diluted the sugar/yeast nutrient as well, or shaken the jug to better dilute it in the cider prior to pitching? Or is the rehydration only important with the yeast?

Randzor

Reaction score
If the sugar isn't dissolved then the yeast will have a hard time eating it. I generally pour out half the bottle of juice, add sugar and shake. repeat until your sugar is gone. I make 5 gallons at a time so shaking the carboy is rather burden some.

OP
G

Guff

Reaction score
Gotcha. So since I didn't shake up the sugar/nutrients prior to adding the yeast does that mean the whole process will just take longer or did I successfully waste those ingredients and botch my first batch? It's been over 24 hours and I have yet to see any bubble action...

Thanks for the reply

Latest posts