Rehydrating yeast or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe80

Reaction score
I'm brewing my third batch on Sat and going to use a US 05 yeast so do I need to rehydrate it or just pitch it dry? My last batch I used a Notty and did rehydrate it so should I do it for this yeast. I used the US 05 on my first batch but just used it dry and didn't have any problems

Up to it! Down to it!

You should rehydrate it if you want to get the highest number of viable, healthy yeast cells from the packet into your beer. Check out the Dry Yeast FAQ if you have a chance. The long and short of it is this: pitching the yeast dry will result in about half of the yeast cells dying, possibly more if you are pitching into completely chilled wort. A packet of 05, according to Fermentis, has on average 150 billion cells. Other cell counts put it closer to 200 billion cells. It will work if you just pitch it dry, and it won't ruin your beer, but in my experience you get a better result if you pitch the right amount of properly rehydrated yeast than you get by just pitching it dry.

Thanks! I found that rehydrating the Notty last time it seemed to ferment a lot quicker than the first batch I brewed by just pitching the US 05 dry

Up to it! Down to it!

Back