Rehydrating Saflager W34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonZolaB

Reaction score
Anyone ever rehydrate Saflager W34/70?
I have read the Fermentis suggestions, but I am curious to hear different experiences or suggestions.

Thanks for the reply Dynachrome

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I rehydrated Saflager 34/70 and pitched in my first AG brew, which was an Anchor Steam type California Common. Fermenting in a bucket in the basement with average temp of 55F, I saw good airlock activity for 8 days. I'm hopeful for great results!!!

I rehydrated on a few oz of water and made a 1L starter out of it for a 2.5 gal batch. Worked out great. The lager was the lightest, clearest beer I ever brewed.

Nice! Sounds like it will be a good one. What temperature was the rehydrated yeast when you pitched, and what temperature was your wort?

The yeast should be no warmer than the wort, and the wort should bet the temp you intend to ferment at when you pitch.

If you're making a starter, you can do it at room temp...remember that you're making yeast, not beer, in this case.

Thanks for the help Weezy, and jrsdws. It's my first lager, so I appreciate the feedback

Thanks osagedr, I imagine you like the results

Latest posts

Back