Rehydrating Dry Yeast with Nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBrown

Reaction score
Which would be best. Adding Wyeast Nutrient to the boil as the instructions call for or adding the nutrients to the warm water as part of dry yeast rehydration?

Which would be best. Adding Wyeast Nutrient to the boil as the instructions call for or adding the nutrients to the warm water as part of dry yeast rehydration?

To the boil after flameout.

Rehydration of dry yeast occurs best in 95-105*F tap water with nothing else added.

It's a good practice to "attemperate" the rehydrated yeast slurry to within 10*F of the wort (which is hopefully in the mid-60's for an ale) before pitching.

In my search for an answer i've seen everyone's instructions for Rehydrating yeast. I did stumble upon go ferm. Essentially Lallemand's version of the same nutrient mix and their instructions call for the nutrient to be added to "warm water" before adding the yeast when rehydrating. The reasoning i'm using behind this is that during the initial process the yeast wall absorbs everything including the nutrients the manufactur has built in. Wouldn't this be the ideal environment to intruduce nutrients?

The process for wine is:

Heat water to 110F

Dissolve 1g/gal GoFerm in the water (so, 5g)

Once the temp is down to 104F, add the yeast

After 20 min start tempering yeast slurry with 100ml of wort to bring the temp to within 10F of the wort. Do this however many times it takes to bring the temp low enough.

There is no reason this process should be any different for beer.

I've never found a need to add nutrients.

Me neither and I always rehydrate, then attemperate, dry yeast. Works every time.

The dry yeast package has sufficient nutrients for the yeast to handle the rehydration process and a wait of 30-45 minutes before pitching just fine.

Back