Regulators and beer storage temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apo09283

Reaction score
Is there a preferred brand of CO2 regulator that everyone prefers? Most that I have seen seem to be rather inexpensive. The regulator I have will hold a constant pressure but it will creep over 12-24 hours whether I increase or decrease the pressure so getting an accurate set point can take several days. I won't say that money is no object here but I did buy six Perlick 425ss taps & shanks for this setup and I know that you generally get what you pay for in life.

Also, in my research of info for balancing my system I found a site that said kegged beer will spoil if stored above 43F. In my experience I have aged beer in kegs for a year @ room temps with no ill effects and I routinely have kegs filled at various breweries around the country when I'm on road trips. Sometimes these kegs sit for several months before going into the kegerator. When tapped the taste exactly as I remember them the day they were filled.

Opinions?
Bill

Every brand new regulator I've bought experiences 'creep' at first until it gets used a few times.
I think its just the inner springs and such needing a little break-in.

I don't know about the "spoiling" of beer in kegs above 43 degrees. Never heard that myself, but like you and many others, I often use a keg as a long-term storage/conditioning vessel that hangs out near room temp and there are no issues.

Many people do fine with some of the economy brand regulators. Two of the more commonly used good regulators are Taprite and Micromatic. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those regulators.

As to aging beer at above 43 degrees and spoiling it... that is not accurate. Beer, like most food and beverage, will age at a quicker rate the warmer it is stored, but not at so fast a rate that it would spoil it in a short period of time.
43-ish degrees should be a good storage temperature, and in fact some people keep it on tap in the low 40's to bring out the flavors better when they serve it. Many beers exhibit their best flavor when served in the 40 to 50 degree area.

Both of my regulators are second hand economy models, and they've worked great so far.

With proper sanitation, kegged beer can be stored at pretty much any temperature. Keeping kegged beer cold after it's been tapped can be a concern in commercial situations that often have poor/infrequent cleaning practices for the lines, couplers, faucets, kegs, etc. If bacteria is present somewhere in the sytem, temperatures over 50F can cause it to become active and spoil the beer. The seals on the top of sanke kegs can be breeding grounds for bacteria, as the ball is easily bumped releasing a little beer, which then becomes exposed to ambient air. It basically becomes a petri dish right at the point where the beer comes out. Micromatic advises keeping the temp below 50F for these reasons.

I won't say that money is no object here but I did buy six Perlick 425ss taps & shanks for this setup and I know that you generally get what you pay for in life.
There is a lot of fact in that. Sometimes you can find something that does the job, adequately, for less but overall you get what you pay for. I predominately run stainless steel Smith or Linde regulators for my beer requirements. I bought them used but they are very good regulators.

I have the same exact first question- plan on buying a kit soon from kegconnection but trying to decide whether the 15 bucks extra for a Taprite regulator is worth it.. Anybody else have thoughts?
Tempted to get the economy model but i dont know if its more likely to break, and there are no protective devices (gauge boots or gauge cages) available for that model, only for the Taprite (to protect the extra investment i guess)

Please help us decide!

Many people do fine with some of the economy brand regulators. Two of the more commonly used good regulators are Taprite and Micromatic. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those regulators.

As to aging beer at above 43 degrees and spoiling it... that is not accurate. Beer, like most food and beverage, will age at a quicker rate the warmer it is stored, but not at so fast a rate that it would spoil it in a short period of time.
43-ish degrees should be a good storage temperature, and in fact some people keep it on tap in the low 40's to bring out the flavors better when they serve it. Many beers exhibit their best flavor when served in the 40 to 50 degree area.

I read that the optimum kegerator temp is 38F that way after the beer is poured and sits a minute or two it will be around the 40+F temperature. And most people don't just gulp it down in one or two drinks, so over the course of drinking their beverage it will be in the 40-50F range like you stated.

Not to mention ambient temperature, hand warmth, etc...so serving it slightly colder IMO is better.

I have the same exact first question- plan on buying a kit soon from kegconnection but trying to decide whether the 15 bucks extra for a Taprite regulator is worth it.. Anybody else have thoughts?
Tempted to get the economy model but i dont know if its more likely to break, and there are no protective devices (gauge boots or gauge cages) available for that model, only for the Taprite (to protect the extra investment i guess)

Please help us decide!

I have a taprite dual body regulator, and it is the bees knees. No silly little screwdriver to adjust pressures, the caps actually lock so if you accidentally bump them you arent going to screw up your pressure. I paid the extra money for the Taprite stuff. Actually kegconnection sent me Taprite reg & tower, and of course I went with perlick faucets. I am extremely happy with my kegging supplies, and if you have any issues, the customer service at kegconnection is awesome.

I read that the optimum kegerator temp is 38F that way after the beer is poured and sits a minute or two it will be around the 40+F temperature. And most people don't just gulp it down in one or two drinks, so over the course of drinking their beverage it will be in the 40-50F range like you stated.

+1 I was simply commenting on the temp ranges beers can be stored and served at. I also run my keezer at 39 degrees. I have checked with a thermometer, and if you pour into a room temperature glass the beer warms a few degrees right off the bat just to chill the glass.

I have a taprite dual body regulator, and it is the bees knees. No silly little screwdriver to adjust pressures, the caps actually lock so if you accidentally bump them you arent going to screw up your pressure.

I agree here as well. I use the taprite with the the hand adjustable cap and it works great. I also use a micromatic secondary for the ability to run dual manifolds at different pressures and it is smooth and accurate in it's adjustments.

I sincerely appreciate the responses. This forum kicks a$$. I'll be upgrading my membership in the near future because of it.

Looks like I'm going to investigate the TapRite brand of regulators and while I'm at it may as well have a look at the Smith and Linde brands as well.

As far as the storage temp goes one site simply said it would spoil above 43F and another said that is because kegged beer is not pasteurized but I still disagree. Attention to sanitation goes a long way.

Someone asked why my kegerator is set at 38 and the answer is like others have mentioned. I don't pound my beer down and I don't want the last few swallows to be warm. I've seen German farm workers carry an open bottle of beer in their back pocket while working but I'll let them enjoy the warm beer!

For those of you with any interest there is supposed to be a major display of Northern Lights tonight over North America. A clear view of the north horizon and as few lights as possible will aid the view. Best time will be after local midnight but predicting Aurora is like predicting weather......tough!
Cheers,
Bill

I've tried ordering a taprite regulator from two different vendors this week. I believe both are HBT members but no one wants to return my calls. Oh well.

Does anyone have an opinion on MicroMatic regulators? Are they equal to Taprite?
Cheers,
Bill

so, even if i have my co2 tank outside the keezer, in the garage with fluctuating temps, a good regulator should still be able to maintain constant pressure? i always thought the temperature in the garage changed the regulator due to pressure difference with temp...

Latest posts

Back