Regulator Problems - Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfehon

Reaction score
I am fairly new to kegging and just purchased a dual regulator. I hooked it up last night in my kegorator and set it at 12psi. When I woke up this morning it was at 45psi! Every time I try to set it it keeps creeping back up to 45. Am I doing something wrong or is this a broken regulator? I'm worried my beer is going to overcarb so I shut off the gas. Your help is greatly appreciated!

regulator.jpg

Close the tank valve, close both gas shutoff valves, turn the gas pressure knob fully counter-clockwise to close it down, then pull the pressure relief valve ring to release all pressure from the regulator. Both gauges should then read zero psi.

Then, open the tank valve, and slowly dial up the gas pressure knob to, say, 10 psi. Leave it like that for long enough to prove the regulator is stable or not - without any external influence at play.

btw, that's a single regulator with dual gauges...

Cheers!

Close the tank valve, close both gas shutoff valves, turn the gas pressure knob fully counter-clockwise to close it down, then pull the pressure relief valve ring to release all pressure from the regulator. Both gauges should then read zero psi.

Then, open the tank valve, and slowly dial up the gas pressure knob to, say, 10 psi. Leave it like that for long enough to prove the regulator is stable or not - without any external influence at play.

btw, that's a single regulator with dual gauges...

Cheers!

does he leave the gas off?

That looks like a single regulator with Dual gauges and dual outputs. The gauge on the left reads bottle capacity while the one on top reads your selected pressure to both outputs. Are you confusing the two gauges?

Thanks for the responses. I called the manufacturer and they're sending me a new one. It's defective.

does he leave the gas off?

Not if he follows the directions. The tank is opened, the regulator is opened, but the shut-offs are kept closed so pressure downstream (like, for instance, in an over-pressurized keg) doesn't affect the low pressure gauge reading (ie: it isn't obvious that those shut-offs have integrated check valves, so by keeping the shut-offs closed, pressure in a keg can't back-drive the gauges)...

Cheers!

It's a "Kegco" single regulator, with dual gauges............You might get another "nice" one.
I had not much luck getting a working one out of them, for the problems I had with a new one.
It's sitting in my parts bin now...........YMMV.

Back