Regulator issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
I have a strange regulator issue. When I turn it down the garage does not move so I don’t really know what the psi is set to. If I come back later it will be at 0. I will turn it up and it will move. I go back 20 min later and it’s raised 5-10 psi.
Is this how it suppose to work and I’m an idiot or possibly faulty regulator ?

Is it a new regulator? I had a similar problem with a new regulator that I bought last year. I contact the company and they told me to hook it up to a tank and turn up the pressure to 30 psi and open the valve to allow CO2 to flow freely out of it(not hooked up to a keg). This fixed it for me. They said sometimes debris can get inside from manufacturing.

If this doesnt fix your problem you likely have a bad diaphragm and it needs to be replaced.

When I turn it down the garage does not move
This is normal, as the gas remains in the system at the previous set pressure. You need to pull the PRV on the regulator to vent off the overpressure. Whatever pressure it bounces back to is your new pressure.
I will turn it up and it will move.
That's to be expected. But:
I go back 20 min later and it’s raised 5-10 psi.
That's not normal.

Yeah, blowing it out may fix it.

Thank you both. I will give that a shot

r

Set my temp correctly and this morning it was at 11 psi. It didn’t move

Thanks for the help

If you connect the regulator to a keg that has more headspace pressure (or contains higher carbed beer that's equalizing) the pressure will be higher, or creep up. Not sure if the small check valves on the regulator outputs prevents gas from flowing back or only slowly.

If this is a new regulator I'd make sure it's working properly. Is it a Taprite?

Back