Regulator gauge reads empty on new tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platypotamus

Reaction score
OK... I have checked the forums but have not found anything that quite matches my problem. I am on my third tank of co2 since starting to keg. Both previous tanks have lasted a good long time, and the reading on the gauge always starts high, then slowly decreases over time.

Well, the second tank ran out, so I went and swapped it this morning. It felt a little light to me, and I like to check before/after weights anyway, just to be sure I'm running low, so I weighed the supposedly full steel 10lb tank. It weighs exactly 20lbs. I then hooked it up to my system, and pushed some gas through - cleared out the oxy clean in a kicked keg. The thing is, the gauge for tank pressure reads ZERO. zero. nada.

20131123_163629.jpg

So, is my gauge suddenly screwed, or did they give me a 95% empty tank?

Help!

The fact that you said it felt light makes me think you got an empty tank or a very low volume co2 tank.

Steel tanks are heavy- what is the "tare weight" stamped on it?

sorry Yoop. I meant to add that I cannot read the TW on this crappy old tank. stamps are mostly illegible.

Thanks for the input, everybody. I'm going to take this pos back in the morning.

just to follow up on this - I found my notes and all of the previous 10lb capacity steel tanks have weighed around 20lbs empty. took it back and they replaced it with a full 20lb tank "for my troubles". here's hoping the big'un fits in my keezer.

thanks again for the feedback. cheers!

just to follow up on this - I found my notes and all of the previous 10lb capacity steel tanks have weighed around 20lbs empty. took it back and they replaced it with a full 20lb tank "for my troubles". here's hoping the big'un fits in my keezer.

thanks again for the feedback. cheers!

Damn nice, Hey, they gave me an empty tank too:ban:

Latest posts

Back