Regulator for CO2 malfunction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Northern Brewer CO2PO, dual regulator. Today, I started a new keg and had it connected to the left regulator.
The gas was off but the needle was moving.

I disconnected the line from the left regulator and changed it to the right side, which works perfectly.

Even though the left hand side is closed, the needle keeps going up.

When the needle goes to the max, it backs off a little and climbs again. I checked for leaks with a spray bottle but don't see or hear any. When I pull on the left relief valve, a burst of gas exits.

The tank and gauge are in the keezer.

Is this just a malfunction or something to worry about?

So, looks like this?
1627147787220.png

As each body has its own PRV I would be concerned that what you are seeing is the pressure on the left side rising to the point that the PRV kicks in and drops the pressure back a ways. That is not a good thing to leave be. If there is a rebuild kit available for those regulators I'd definitely order one pronto...

Cheers!

You can remove the left regulator by unscrewing the pipe nipple which connects the two from the right regulator. Then, remove the tank pressure gauge from the left regulator, and attach it to the port on the right regulator where the pipe nipple was attached. Since all of these ports are on the high pressure side the threads will all be the same (some brands of regulators use right-hand threads on the low pressure side and left hand threads on the high side). By doing this you will be able to continue using your draft system until the left regulator can be repaired or replaced.

So, looks like this?
View attachment 736635

As each body has its own PRV I would be concerned that what you are seeing is the pressure on the left side rising to the point that the PRV kicks in and drops the pressure back a ways. That is not a good thing to leave be. If there is a rebuild kit available for those regulators I'd definitely order one pronto...

Cheers!

It looks just like that. I went to Northern Brewer's website and the live chat is down, due to inventory. I left them an email. I can't see any rebuild kits on their site. I also took a ride down to my LHBS. They are waiting for a batch of regulators to come in. He did have the 'head' that they were willing to sell but I wasn't sure if that would have fixed the problem.

Cheers!

You can remove the left regulator by unscrewing the pipe nipple which connects the two from the right regulator. Then, remove the tank pressure gauge from the left regulator, and attach it to the port on the right regulator where the pipe nipple was attached. Since all of these ports are on the high pressure side the threads will all be the same (some brands of regulators use right-hand threads on the low pressure side and left hand threads on the high side). By doing this you will be able to continue using your draft system until the left regulator can be repaired or replaced.

I did just that! I have removed the malfunctioning part. I am now using the right regulator and tank pressure gauge. Good as new, it's now a single regulator, not a dual one. I will wait for Northern Brewer's reply, hopefully they'll have a rebuild kit or another regulator (it looks like they are currently out of stock). My cream ale is now (safely) carbonating.

Thanks to all!

Cheers!

Northern Brewers response...

Most of the time this is caused by a small piece of debris from manufacturing. Best way to fix this is to start with just the regulator hooked up to the co2 tank, no hoses or kegs. With the co2 tank turned off, open the valve on the regulator and turn the pressure of the regulator up. Now turn the co2 tank on and off a few time quickly to send blasts of co2 through the regulator. The quick burst of high pressure will often clear out anything bulking the diaphragm from holding the correct pressure. Give that a try and see if it will hold pressure for 24hours without being hooked up to a keg. If that does not do the trick then it most likely a faulty regulator and we can look at few other things or get you a replacement if need be.

Back