Regulator bonnet replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cflawson

Reaction score
I've got a regulator that I picked up used from a local on Craigslist. The pressure adjustment set-screw hole is stripped. Fortunately, the regulator otherwise works OK but I'd like to replace the bonnet. The regulator looks identical to this item:

https://rapidswholesale.com/draught-technologies-co2-high-pressure-regulator.html

but Rapids says they don't sell replacement bonnets for those. I still have an inquiry in with them about whether anyone else does, or who the original manufacturer of those is, but I figured I'd ask the hive mind over here. Anyone know if the Taprite poly bonnets will work? Is bonnet threading pretty much standard? If it is, I might just order one of these:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Taprite-Replacement-Bonnet-for-Regulator_p_3728.html

Alternatively, does anyone have experience using something like JB-Weld to repair the hole and re-tap it? I haven't dug into it too deeply yet, and I have a new Taprite T742HP waiting to be installed when I get motivated to, so this isn't terribly critical either.

cl

I have a double one of those, in the same blue. There's a golden sticker on them:
Draught Technologies. Model 1000P / 1000S.

I was under the impression they were made by Chudnow, but now I'm not so sure, no markings as such.

I don't have Taprites, so I can't tell if the bonnets are interchangeable. I would actually doubt it, patents and such. Are those Taprite bonnets plastic? Looks like it.

I doubt you can JB weld threads. The threaded stud/bolt measures 5/16".
At best, maybe retap the collar at a hair larger diameter (e.g., M-8) and possibly reinforce that narrow threaded collar on the end of the bonnet to prevent it from getting too thin?

I also see them here:
https://rapidswholesale.com/beer-su...ent/beer-keg-regulators.html?manufacturer=942

fwiw, all of my Chudnow bonnets are black, and I don't see anything but black bonnets on the Chudnow site. That said the DT bodies could have been contract manufactured by Chudnow with the blue bonnets, but otoh that design seems generic and many brands sell similar regulator bodies - Taprite has a basic line that looks darned similar to my Chudnows.

In any case, I can't find replacement bonnets for Chudnow or Draught Technologies, though I can find a bonnet for Taprite bodies that look so similar it might be worth a try...

Cheers!

In any case, I can't find replacement bonnets for Chudnow or Draught Technologies, though I can find a bonnet for Taprite bodies that look so similar it might be worth a try...
That bonnet looks amazingly close to the blue ones I have. If it has the right sizes everywhere that would be great.
Now the bigger Q is, would it run under $35 shipped?

They mention it's zinc (composite?) and the black "plastic looking" TR replacement bonnet the OP linked to it said to replace those old zinc ones.
Maybe the "plastic" one would fit too?

That's what I was wondering, too; thus the query ;) I might just buy it, try it, and if it doesn't fit, return it.

Heli-coil is also a decent idea although I doubt there's enough material to make one work in this case.

Heli-coil is also a decent idea although I doubt there's enough material to make one work in this case.
It's a great idea, never occured to me. Now the added force exerted on that little collar stub when using a helicoil may crack it. If using one, I'd definitely reinforce that stub with JB Weld, so it has nowhere to expand and crack.

UPDATE: I e-mailed the sales department at UltraFlow (the new name of the former Draught Technologies) this afternoon. They're shipping out a replacement bonnet on Monday. I would absolutely recommend their equipment based on the level of customer service alone. That pretty much everything they sell has a lifetime warranty and is US-made is just icing on the cake.

cl

UPDATE: I e-mailed the sales department at UltraFlow (the new name of the former Draught Technologies) this afternoon. They're shipping out a replacement bonnet on Monday. I would absolutely recommend their equipment based on the level of customer service alone. That pretty much everything they sell has a lifetime warranty and is US-made is just icing on the cake.
Wow! That's indeed something to remember!
Glad you got that sorted.

That also solves the puzzle who manufactures those blue regs. They've been working fine here so far. I don't adjust them very often, they just feed my upright keezer.

Latest posts

Back