Regarding plastic carboys and those expensive spigots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohrinet

Reaction score
I think I have found a local water distributor who carries PET bottles that I may be able to pick up for about $8/each. Thinking I could also get the spigots for it (but not necessarily the racking adapter). Are there generic spigots that you could use for it? I imagine there isn't much difference between the technology on a standard "bucket spigot" compared to the "better bottle spigot" except the place to stick the long installer tube. I figure there has to be a good (and cheaper) way to get a spigot installed on a PET bottle carboy somewhere between the $2.50 bucket spigot and the $14 BB spigot...

Anything?

P.S. I will also welcome myself to the board with this (my first) post. Thank you kindly for the support of this forum, and especially for the built-in Google search rather than the standard (and very crappy) phpBB search that most other forums have. I have learned a countless amount of information in about 4 weeks, and have already, with a somewhat experienced neighbor, brewed 4 batches, none of which are ready, but soon will be.
5 gallons of citrus light (7%+!))
10 gallons of IPA
5 gallons of mocha porter, still in primary.

Again, thank you. Seriously, thank you.

I've used both, and personally I prefer the spigot. I just let it soak in sanitizer and drain 1/4 of the solution through when draining and have never had a problem with contamination yet. When I used the autosiphon method I had more dribble problems which were annoying.

Also a big proponent to contamination is cleaning the equipment AFTER you are done using it. I give everything a good rinse the take a sandwich bag and put around the spigot held on with a rubber band.

Agree with Bobby M. I decided to go w/o the spigot on my BBs. Instead I opted for those 2-prong carboy caps. With those you can adjust the height of a racking cane and keep it in place, and then suck/blow the other tube on the cap to create enough pressure to start a siphon. Very easy IMO...

Racking is most definitely the cheapest option, but spigoting (just got underlined, apparently it is not a word) allows for much more flexibility. StarSan in a PET bottle with spigot would be extremely nice. Using a PET bottle as a bottling "bucket" is also nice. Everything (everywhere?) is a place to harbor bacteria, which is why we clean and sanitize, right?

I am going to end up racking if I can't find a cheaper solution, but I suppose I'm trying to feel out the crowd. From all the other threads I've run into on this board, I'm certain someone else has thought of this, and probably also found a good solution...

For example, I did some googling and came up with this. This is just one of the first ones I saw, but there is no information as to whether or not it would work in a PET/Better Bottle. Anyone go this route rather than getting the BB branded ones?

Generic Spigot, Maybe?

Well, I wouldn't EVER leave the spigot installed and call it clean. When I bottled, I removed the spigot for disassembly and sanitizing every time. It's not something I'd want to do in the PET.

I have 2 BBs. The first I paid for the spigot and while I don't hate it, I don't think I would do it again. For one, I find the BB spigot to be relatively slow compared to a good autosiphon. Also, the autosiphon is really easy and just don't see the need for the extra expense.

Have you tried taking the bottle to a water supply store and have them install a spigot for you? I did this with my Arrowhead containers for my first bacth of brew-it was $5 for each installation, and just like that, I had two carboys ready to go (wasn't worried about oxidation for my first batch....)

I'm looking to purchase a PET bottle instead of a glass carboy-how do you rate it's performance and what water distributor did you buy yours from?

I have 2 BBs. The first I paid for the spigot and while I don't hate it, I don't think I would do it again. For one, I find the BB spigot to be relatively slow compared to a good autosiphon. Also, the autosiphon is really easy and just don't see the need for the extra expense.

Maybe you should've gotten the "drum tap spigot" from Midwest. It's got a water hose spigot handle that's easier to use. & the spout is so big it takes a 5/8" hose to go over it. I've got her the BB ale pale (the newer one with the big dripping "B" & graduations) with that drum tap on it. I have the auto siphon too. No way on God's green Earth is that auto siphone keeping up with that tap & 5/8" hose to to rack into the bottling bucket!
I should make a video of the swirl from that thing!

Latest posts

Back