Refrigerator "shells"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinfiddler

Reaction score
I have an "opportunity" to posess free of charge, two refrigerators in very good cosmetic shape but do not run.

Now I have seen and read here where some of you geniuses have constructed kegerators from scratch. I am wondering what is the cost of getting a refrigerator up and running. I do not know what exactly is the problem with them.

I have zero experience and knowlege of refrigeration. Any links to sites that have anwers? Refrigeration for dummies?

JW

Refrigeration isn't easy, even for a DIYer. You need gauges, vacuum pumps, Refrigerant etc etc, and that's after you figure out what's wrong.. It might be something simple like a bad thermostat, which doesn't require any of those things, just a screwdriver..

Do they run? plug them in and see if the compressor fires up.

That is the plan tomorrow. I don't want to bother hauling them home if it is going to be very expensive to get them going.

I want to stop screwing with bottles.

skinfiddler said:
I want to stop screwing with bottles.

can i get an amen!

not a refrigeration expert, but i have read that if it does come down to a freon issue then you're probably dead in the water. my draft freezer shown here cost me $150 on craigslist, plus the $20 rental truck from home depot. quite a steal, but it took me about 3 months of checking craigslist multiple times a day and being the first person that calls and the first person who shows up with cash. i missed out on a hand full of freezers just because 20 minutes after the add posted it was already spoken for. i'm guessing that because you're asking this question that you probably don't know enough about refrigeration systems to know if it's a cheap fix or an expensive one. also, depending on the situation of course, it's likely that the current owners have determined that fixing them would be expensive and just want to get rid of them. i'm all for tackling big projects and learning from them, i'm just doing a little brain-storming for you on the possible pitfalls.

Don't do it, simply put if you have to ask how easy it is, or how to do it, that means you probably don't have the nescesary skills, knowledge, or equipment to get the job done for less than buying a used working fridge off of some site like craigslist.

Sorry to break it to you, but refrigerator and air conditioner repair (by professionals) is very expensive because it requires some knowledge, although you can get this from a book, but also some expensive, very specific tools that you may have to buy only to wind up using them once.

Donasay said:
Don't do it, simply put if you have to ask how easy it is, or how to do it, that means you probably don't have the nescesary skills, knowledge, or equipment to get the job done for less than buying a used working fridge off of some site like craigslist.

+1 It's like my old man always says "If you have to ask how much it is you probubly can't afford it"

It may not work as a keggerator but maybe you can use one as a fermentation chamber? Just a thought

Good luck!
:mug:

Donasay said:

Sorry to break it to you, but refrigerator and air conditioner repair (by professionals) is very expensive because it requires some knowledge, although you can get this from a book, but also some expensive, very specific tools that you may have to buy only to wind up using them once.

Well, perhaps. I'm considering the possibility because of the business I'm in. I know several tradesmen that I might call in a favor on if I can swing the parts cheap enough.

Still exploring the angles.

Thanks,

JW

Why would you turn down a free fridge? Why? If it works at all, score. If not scrap it and save that money for a better one. Dont turn it down its worth it for the scrap value alone.

what is the scrap value on a dead fridge, we have always found ways of disposing of them, either costing us, dumping it.

Back