refrigerator effect on CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I was losing a lot of co2 and tightened some things up. It seemed to help but then I noticed frost on the tank. I bumped the temp up an the gauge read a little more co2 in the tank. Is this common?

Totally normal. But it doesn't mean there's suddenly more CO2 in the cylinder, it's just a gas law at work. Gay-Lussac's law states that the pressure exerted on the sides of a container by an ideal gas of fixed volume is proportional to its temperature.

Frosting on the tank is a pretty good indicator of a significant leak...

Cheers!

Yep. The pressure in the tank reflects both the amount of co2 and the temperature. The co2 is actually in liquid form and then fills the head space with gas to reach equilibrium. At lower temps it takes less pressure to reach equilibrium. The pressure gauge won't change pressure until you reach a certain amount left. That depends on the size of the tank and the pressure.

uploadfromtaptalk1410138961379.jpg

This is a good chart to look at pressure and temperature vs % remaining in your tank.

Cool thanks for the info. Hopefully when I get home I will still have half a tank left.

pressure is effected by temp, that vapor phase chart is perfect. co2 exists in liquid form in the tank. as long as thier is liquid left, it will have pressure, based on that chart! end of story. Only other thing that effects pressure is when you use the co2, the vapor phasing of the liquid to gas requires heat. so as you use the gas, the tank will get colder (and thus reduce the tank pressure.)

Since tank pressure even at 50° is about 600 psi and our regs are set for less than 30 psi most of the time, pressure is not an issue.

Once you run out of liquid, all you have left is tank pressure which will go down very fast, if you see your tank pressure at less than vapor pressure, its empty.

Its worth noting, that the gauge tells you pressure only! It does not tell you how much is left in the tank.

Back