Refrigeration Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowawookie

Reaction score
My first batch of beer is currently in refrigeration. It is a Nut Brown Ale, and has sat, in the refrigerator for exactly 1 week today. The directions said to let it sit in refrigeration for 2 weeks. I have read from different sources that 1 week is plenty for a Brown Ale.

Anyone know if i could pop a top of a brew today, or should I wait the extra week?

I never heard that you should refrigerate a carbonated bottle of beer for two weeks before drinking- you must have had a kit with directions that are different than the beers I've done. What was your recipe and procedure? Did you leave them at room temperature for a couple of weeks before putting them in the fridge?

No real accurate answer can be given without a bit more information. Recipe, OG, FG, fermentation temperatures, etc. However they good thing is, you can feel free to have one today, then maybe one every other day or so. The taste might improve at each sampling, might not. The point is you will get experience tasting at different ages and have some points for comparison.

Feel free to provide us some details on your recipie and times/temperatures the beer has been stored at and in what form (bottle, bucket, carboy...) so someone can give you a better idea.

Let your beer carbonate at room temperature (above 65º) for at least 3 weeks. Refrigerate one just until it is at serving temperature and try it. If it is good then you can refrigerate the batch and start consuming. No need to leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks.

It was a malt extract kit. Fermented Primary for 1 week at 70-75 degrees in bucket, then Secondary in carboy for 1 week at same temp, then bottled and sat for 4 days out of refrigerator, also at same temp, (though directions said to sit out of refrigerator for 2 days) then directions said to refrigerate for 2 weeks.

Does that help?

Edit:

I was just looking back over at the recipe, and I think I made a big noob mistake. This is what the recipe says word for word...
"...Stand bottles in a warm place for 2 days then leave for 14 days in a cool place or until the beer is clear."

when I read cool place, I thought refrigerator. I think I might have been wrong. Did I mess up?

cowawookie said:
It was a malt extract kit. Fermented Primary for 1 week at 70-75 degrees in bucket, then Secondary in carboy for 1 week at same temp, then bottled and sat for 4 days out of refrigerator, also at same temp, (though directions said to sit out of refrigerator for 2 days) then directions said to refrigerate for 2 weeks.

Does that help?

Sure does. The 4 day period at room temp may need to be extended to be sure yeast have undergone a secondary fermentation.

Try one, if it is flat then take them all out of refrig. and let rest for at least one week at room temp. Then re chill for a day or 2.

Back