Refrigerating a yeast starter..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernestmyname

Reaction score
My yeast starter is ready to be refrigerated. It is one day after peak activity. But, I don't know how. (I will be brewing 48 hours from now)

If I put it in there with the air lock, It will surely suck the vodka into the wort.

If I put it in without the air lock, it seems like I am defeating the purpose of using one in the first place.

Any help is appreciated.

just hit it with some starsan in a spray bottle.....easy to do and ensures it is.

Thanks for the link - The only source I am using is Palmer's 'how to brew'.

Is there anything else I need to know that isn't contained in the book?

What is your opinion of using tin foil over an empty air lock on a primary?

Whats the consensus on foam stoppers?

Perfectly acceptable! The key to a starter is allowing gas exchange because the yeast require oxygen for reproduction. You want to keep bacteria and wild yeast from falling in, while still allowing gaseous exchange.

Starter yeast need oxygen
If you see bubbles forming inside your vessle - that's CO2 and its pushing your oxygen out.

Aluminum foil baked for a half minute at 400 in your toaster oven - grasp at the edge and lay over your jar and fold down - don't seal, leave a gap for gas exchange.

Latest posts

Back