Refractometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpat

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a refractometer, however after reading about them, it seems like they may be complicated and difficult to use. What's everyone's take on them? Is a hydrometer better?

For AG brewing a refractometer is almost indispensable.

For just checking OG and FG, even a few samples during fermentation, a hydrometer is a bit more precise. I use both, for those specific purposes.

I paid $22 for my refractometer (eBay) it's a relatively small investment with a huge payoff during use, like checking the gravity of runnings from the mash tun. Kettle gravity at any time, gravity of starter wort, etc. Only one drop needed and instant reading. If there's any alcohol present, you also need to know the OG value and apply a correction formula, found online.

As long as they are calibrated, they make brew day gravity measurements a breeze. You can find decent ones for not a lot of money. I always check my refractometer readings against hydrometers and they are very close, usually a point off at most.

I'd have to echo the posts so far. They are easy to use but readings taken during fermentation require an online correction tool, which is easy to do. They're also perfect for my small 2/2.5G batches since hydrometer sized samples would use up too much beer.

Seems like it would be good for checking SG while still in the brew pot. So often I check it after it’s in the fermenter only to find I missed my gravity and it’s too late to do anything about it

+1 on everything everyone's already mentioned. I use mine during fermentation as well; not to check SG specifically, but to check gravity movement, or the lack thereof, which indicates fermentation has stopped. Saves on taking big samples. Once gravity hasn't moved in a few days then I'll use a hydrometer for FG.

All true, and some easy math makes it easy to monitor your fermentation using drops of beer rather than the ounces a hydrometer requires.

Refractometers work very well when no alcohol is present. With alcohol, you really need to know the original Brix (or gravity) and input into Sean Terrill's calculator or equivalent:

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

Also I have discovered it is important to calibrate with plain water with every use. Often mine reads 0.2-0.4 high or low with plain water and I need to zero it, otherwise the readings will be off.

Calibrate it often and use calculators when appropriate, and it can be a very handy tool to have.

I wouldn't be without one.......... I often check during the brewing process. I use it during the mash, particularly when I'm doing a brief mash, such as my 20 minute "inline" mash where I start with hot tap water at about 130F out of the tap, dough in, rapid heat to 140 or so, then slow heat up to 155 over 20 minutes. I know where my gravity will be at the end, and I can monitor the progress of the conversion and control temp accordingly. It also works to check gravity after the mash and before the boil..... If you miss, you can add some DME, or whatever.
I don't consider them useful for FG readings, but I don't bother with FG readings unless I'm using a yeast that is known to stall, or working with very high ABV brews. With very high ABV brews, I add invert as I go along, so a refractometer would be useless.

H.W.

I recently purchased one on Amazon. Love it for brew days. But when I tried to use it on finished beer, the line was blurred. With wort, there is a hard, distinct line on the scale. Easy to read and very accurate. I just can't see the reading on the scale when alcohol is present.

The clearer the wort, the less blurry the line. I filter my samples when the fermentation is going on to get as much gunk out as possible, sometimes it's still a guess, but more accurate than wondering how many points the CO2 bubbles are lifting my hydrometer....

No bits, no bubbles, and a thin layer are all things that make that blue line sharper and easier to read.

that's all I have to add. Everyone else said the other important stuff better already.

Reading my hydrometer going to the boil kettle and then to the fermentor to get the gravity readings I was shooting for, to me was difficult...I purchased a Refractometer from Amazon less than $25 a couple weeks ago, and it's well worth it. Takes the guess work out of brew day. There is a lot less waste meaning a couple drops vs a hydrometer test flask...

Back