Refining a pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steinhaus

Reaction score
I'm moving my pumpkin ale into secondary tonight, it's SG is 1.20 down from 1.81. I'm pretty sure that I need to repitch, but should I use the same yeast that I started with WLP300 (Hefeweizen). I was looking for banana and clove notes, but I wound up with a lot of clove- an almost mouth numbing amount. Also, it has a quite distinct alcohol burn.

Would an insatiable yeast like PacMan clean this up or should I stick with one yeast?

#B. It has quite a spicy nose, which I like. But the flavor is somewhat bitter. Currently I am considering racking onto more pumpkin puree in a tertiary, adding some vanilla bean extract or just waiting. My main concern is that the bitterness will not actually fade that much if I let it sit. FYI, I brewed this on 9/26/2010.

All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

You got 75% attenuation. Without knowing the particulars of your recipe and mash schedule, I'd say your beer is done, not stuck. Repitching will probably be a waste of time.

Just let it sit. Stronger beers need more time to mature than weaker ones.

Yup it's done. Just give it some time, it will mellow out. Adding more pumpkin will just add starch and not much flavor.

I agree that you are very close if not all the way there. That yeast is rated for only about 76% attenuation. Unless you want it dryer or more bitter than there it not much point in adding different types of yeast. I think cold crashing for 2-3 days after you let it sit and mature will help to let the yeast fall out of suspension and help to make the flavor cleaner and still leave the flavor you are trying to achieve.

From BeerCalculus

77% 10 0 Amber Liquid Extract 36 0
15% 2 0 Crystal 40L 34 40
8% 1 0 Biscuit Malt 36 23
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
(1.078 to 1.091)
Final Gravity
(1.020 to 1.025)
Color
12° SRM / 23° EBC
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 45 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 45 mins 0.25 Centennial pellet 10.0
boil 15 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 5 mins 0.25 Centennial pellet 10.0
Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
12.9 IBU / 4 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale (WLP300)
ale yeast in liquid form with low flocculation
Alcohol
8.7% ABV / 7% ABW
Calories
291 per 12 oz.
misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
mash 30 min 2 pounds Pumpkin
boil 45 min 1 ounces Cardamom, Whole Green
boil 30 min 2 ounces Cinnamon Stick info
boil 45 min 0.5 ounces Cloves
boil 30 min 1 ounces Grains of Paradise
boil 30 min 1 ounces Pink Peppercorns
boil 45 min 1 ounces Nutmeg
boil 30 min 0.5 ounces Anise, Whole Stars
secondary 7 days 0.25 ounces Gelatin

FYI: I cut all the spices in half, at least. So please consider that before suggesting too much spice volume.

This is intended to be more of a savory pumpkin ale versus the sweet, pumpkin pie style.

Yeah with an extract brew with that much crystal malt, you'll be hard pressed to get better than 75% attenuation.

Back