reducing waste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pesho

Reaction score
I have now made 2 batches of lager the second of which i have just bottles yesterday, I noticed how much was wasted, this time i racked and added boiled dried malt extract to bottle but this increased the waste, can this be reduced any way? can the brew be filtered to the rack to stop the sediment going with it?

Pesh

Pesho said:
I have now made 2 batches of lager the second of which i have just bottles yesterday, I noticed how much was wasted, this time i racked and added boiled dried malt extract to bottle but this increased the waste, can this be reduced any way? can the brew be filtered to the rack to stop the sediment going with it?

Pesh

How did adding your DME boiled in some water increase your waste? Generally speaking the more times you rack the more you will lose. I don't think you want to go to the expense of purchasing a filtration system (just a screen won't cut it) that can filter out yeast just to save that small amount of beer that is left behind. You can always tip the fermenter on its side just before the level of beer falls below the tip of the racking cane (the trub shouldn't slide fast enough to get into the tip...

Back