Reducing final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
Hi,

My porter started out at 1.048 and has stopped fermenting at 1.020. It seems a bit high - I read somewhere that giving the brew a gentle stir in the primary may rouse some yeast and lower the gravity a bit. Is this advisable? Or are there any other methods?

Thanls

I use glass carboys, so I just roll it around, gently, to re-suspend the yeast. It also helps if you bring the temperature up to around 75F.

+1 Temps play a huge part. Nothing wrong with a long slow fermentation, but if you really think it is stuck, moving it to a warmer spot will probably stir it up enough.

What yeast did you use?

+1 on temp. In the earlier part of fermentation, mid 60's seems fine, but then the yeast poop out early. Get it in a warmer area for a day, then give it a swirl.

I'm having the same problem with my porter. So far a couple of days at about 68 degrees hasn't changed it.

Back