Redneck ingenuity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you do when you have 50 people coming over for dinner in two hours, you have one turkey baking in the oven, two more in the brine waiting to be put into the turkey fryer, and you find that your fryer has sprung a leak? Have a beer, and get out the angle grinder, Of Course!

I am at home, working on the stuffing for the meal yesterday, when my brother in law calls me up. He is, for reasons that I will find out very shortly, rather agitated. Turns out that his turkey fryer has sprung a leak. We talk for a minute, and decide that the best course of action is for a few of the guys to go looking for a new pot while I finish up what I am doing, and then I will head over to help in any way that I can.

Before I even finish up my stuff at home, he calls again, and no place in town was open except Wally World, and they were sold out of anything that would have worked. He has decided to try putting some foil in the bottom of the pot, but also wants to know if he can borrow my brew kettle to fry in. I explain that my old brew kettle was a turkey fryer pot that also sprung a leak, and that I have not brewed in a year because I don't have a new kettle yet.

I finish up my stuff, and hop in the truck to go over and lend a hand. On the way over, I get thinking... I have five used sankeys in the basement that I have picked up with the intent of converting into brew kettles, but had not yet built the BobbyM keggle cutting grinder jig. I get there and find that they foil method is not working, so I head back home and load up the ugliest of my kegs, along with my angle grinder, and head back over to his place. Ten minutes later, I have a pretty decent looking free-hand converted keg. I give it a good wash out with some pbw, and then we toss it on the fryer stand.

This is where things get REALLY redneck... Not only am I going to fry a turkey in a keg (best thing that ever happened to a keg of miller), but we also find that the keg cant sit close enough to the flame to heat well, so we need to rebuild the fryer stand. In the mean time, we want to keep the thing heating, so I take the keg over and throw it on top of the ripping fire we have going in the firepit.

Here are the pics that I took...

This one is when it was just cut and put on the fryer stand...

Now we move on to the fire pit to heat it up faster...

Back onto the stand, only to find that it will not hold heat well...

Back onto the fire to bring it back up to heat, while the boys rebuild the fryer stand...

And, the final product... worked awesome, and the turkeys came out fantastic...

I think I might just keep this keg as is, and use it for turkey frys and shrimp boils and what not.

No, no duct tape...
Tho we were using a stanley fubar
55-099_mid_res.jpg

and a regular pry bar, to lift the keg on and off the fire...
first time I have used demolition tools for cooking...

Back