Reddit homebrew is frustrating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 10 years and have always appreciated the advice I've gotten on homebrewtalk. However, the same can not be said in my brief experience in the homebrew subreddit. I've gotten information on there that I know is straight up wrong and today I saw some advice for a new brewer that was just ridiculous. I like reddit for a lot of things but homebrew advice is not it. Just posting here to say thanks for existing folks!

I've been brewing for about 10 years and have always appreciated the advice I've gotten on homebrewtalk. However, the same can not be said in my brief experience in the homebrew subreddit. I've gotten information on there that I know is straight up wrong and today I saw some advice for a new brewer that was just ridiculous. I like reddit for a lot of things but homebrew advice is not it. Just posting here to say thanks for existing folks!
What thread are you referring? I am used to Reddit thread layout more than Discord, I agree there can be some bad suggestions.

What thread are you referring? I am used to Reddit thread layout more than Discord, I agree there can be some bad suggestions.
The one that got me yesterday was a new brewer worrying about his OG being way too low. But in his post he mentions taking the reading after the yeast had been fermenting for a few days. So instead of helping them understand the difference in gravities and when to take those measurements, it's just a bunch of **** about his hydrometer must be broken, or did he test it in plain water first, and just some other weird ****. I was going to post that it's lower than intended, because you need to take that reading before your pitch you yeast and let it sit for a few days or whatever it was, but than I just thought, screw it, I'm just gonna go complain on HBT instead.

The one that got me yesterday was a new brewer worrying about his OG being way too low. But in his post he mentions taking the reading after the yeast had been fermenting for a few days. So instead of helping them understand the difference in gravities and when to take those measurements, it's just a bunch of **** about his hydrometer must be broken, or did he test it in plain water first, and just some other weird ****. I was going to post that it's lower than intended, because you need to take that reading before your pitch you yeast and let it sit for a few days or whatever it was, but than I just thought, screw it, I'm just gonna go complain on HBT instead.
And that was certainly the right decision!

I hang out on Reddit a bit. What irks me is that when someone (such as myself which I often do) shares experience or insights that are contrary to popular opinion, their input which might be valuable is often not discussed but rather hidden from view after being downvoted more than 10 times or whatever. This automated response based on downvoting/upvoting does not promote good discussion; rather, it stifles it. This makes no sense.

Meanwhile, many YouTube videos and Brulosophy-style posts are upvoted to wazoo, regardless of whether they contain quality insightful content. It's the popularity contest baloney and noob-to-intermediate level hipster stuff that bugs me.

All that being said... in between all of that, there is *some* good content being shared and discussed on Reddit. From this perspective, it can still be worth monitoring. Just might take extra effort to weed out the chaff and find the gold buried within.

Any forum has its imperfections. Including HBT. Although I do believe HBT is currently my favorite. Wasn't always, but it at least is a survivor. Many many forums have come and gone. HBT lives on. Somehow. I don't know how. But here we are. Enjoy, for as long as it lasts.

I hang out on Reddit a bit. What irks me is that when someone (such as myself which I often do) shares experience or insights that are contrary to popular opinion, their input which might be valuable is often not discussed but rather hidden from view after being downvoted more than 10 times or whatever. This automated response based on downvoting/upvoting does not promote good discussion; rather, it stifles it. This makes no sense.

Meanwhile, many YouTube videos and Brulosophy-style posts are upvoted to wazoo, regardless of whether they contain quality insightful content. It's the popularity contest baloney and noob-to-intermediate level hipster stuff that bugs me.

All that being said... in between all of that, there is *some* good content being shared and discussed on Reddit. From this perspective, it can still be worth monitoring. Just might take extra effort to weed out the chaff and find the gold buried within.

Any forum has its imperfections. Including HBT. Although I do believe HBT is currently my favorite. Wasn't always, but it at least is a survivor. Many many forums have come and gone. HBT lives on. Somehow. I don't know how. But here we are. Enjoy, for as long as it lasts.

I agree. I'm thankful for the vibrancy of this forum. Always something new to read, always something interesting being talked about. I would have come here sooner if it wasn't for my loyalty to my original forum. For example, I've picked up several new standard bewday practices here, which have elevated my brewing. And I've been exposed to members who compete seriously, for fun, and both. Now that is something I want to try in the near future. I see great things posted all the time. There's a lot to talk about!

I've read reddit homebrew threads when they came up in google searches. Reddit is a catch-all with great content. But brewing is so technical and when they're wrong, they are wrong.

It's like someone helping you find your destination in another country, and they have such an urge to help that they are willing to point you in the wrong direction. I'm happy for the time and energy but you need a lot of grains of salt to take it with.

Last edited:
Back