Red wheat vs White wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madirish

Reaction score
LHBS has red wheat (winter wheat) not White Wheat. I am going to make a blue moon tribute combination of Nilos number 8 and Wayne's 2nd version with a small hit of citra at flameout. I can't find a difference between the 2 wheats in beersmith. Anyone know what difference it will make, is it just color?

The only difference is that white wheat lacks the three genes that cause the red coloration. The compounds created by these genes are tannic. It makes a difference in baking bread (flavor-wise), but it may or may not make a difference in brewing. I'm guessing little, if any.

I had heard red wheat has a maltier flavor with white being more neutral in flavor. I don't do wheat beers much at all I have used the red mostly in small amounts for head rettention

From my experience the taste is pretty much the same but the white wheat makes a little bit lighter beer. So if you are making a wit and care bout color go with white.

I've used both in hefeweizens and in that application (50% wheat) I absolutely cannot tell a difference. Red may lend a tiny bit more color. I would use them interchangeably based on what's cheaper.

Birdsong Brewing in North Carolina makes a "Red Wheat" beer that is extremely "wheaty". It has that old school whole wheat bread flavor that you don't get in wheat bread anymore because they mill the crap out of it and extend it with white flour. I honestly can't tell you if this difference is due to the red wheat, or if they just up the ratio of wheat to barley a lot more than other breweries, but their red wheat beer is definitely no like other wheat beers I've tried.

Back