Red shoots on a cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if you folks had seen red tinted shoots on a supposed Cascade? The shoots from the other rhizome in the hill are your standard green.

I only have Willamette and all the first batch of shoots I noticed were red but a week or so later they turned green. No worries!

Hey, I was wondering if you folks had seen red tinted shoots on a supposed Cascade? The shoots from the other rhizome in the hill are your standard green.

It's a pigment known as anthocyanin. It's a plant pigment produced within certain tissues in response to several factors. Generally it's associated with high sun levels and other stress-induced mechanisms. It acts as a "sunscreen" for for plants. Google it.

It's a pigment known as anthocyanin. It's a plant pigment produced within certain tissues in response to several factors. Generally it's associated with high sun levels and other stress-induced mechanisms. It acts as a "sunscreen" for for plants. Google it.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Just relax and have a drink, your plants are fine.

Cheers! I was more curious why one set of cascade shoots would be a different color. Their sun level should be about the same. I'll have to do some reading I guess.

Cheers! I was more curious why one set of cascade shoots would be a different color. Their sun level should be about the same. I'll have to do some reading I guess.

Depends if one is shaded moreso than the other, etc. A number of factors to contribute to it, but from everything you've described that's what it sounds like. The only sure fire way to tell is for a picture.

Are they on the same plant? Different plants? Different places in the yard? Even if it's the same plant, there are bound to be differences.

Is this a good estimation of what you're referring too?

photo-5.jpg

Depends if one is shaded moreso than the other, etc. A number of factors to contribute to it, but from everything you've described that's what it sounds like. The only sure fire way to tell is for a picture.

Are they on the same plant? Different plants? Different places in the yard? Even if it's the same plant, there are bound to be differences.

Is this a good estimation of what you're referring too?

They're in the same spot (within a foot). They're different plants though (different rhizomes). Anyways, yes, those shoots look quite similar!

They're in the same spot (within a foot). They're different plants though (different rhizomes). Anyways, yes, those shoots look quite similar!

Then yes, don't worry. It's perfectly fine. I have several plants sitting in full sun, and others in sun/shade, and even more in partial shade. There's a range of characteristics present, and they will change throughout the season. Some varieties are more prone to it than others, and some just don't care. Some have red petioles (stem the leaf is attached on), some have red bines, it's really just a matter of the plant's interaction with it's growing environment.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back