Red rye IPA. What do you think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
11 lb 2 row
2.5 rye
12oz victory
5.6 oz chocolate rye
4oz crystal 10

1.5 oz warrior @60
2oz citra@0
1oz centennial@0
.5 oz comet @0
2oz citra dry hop
1.5oz comet dry hop
1oz centennial dry hop

That sounds like a delicious IPA! Great hops too.

Agree with Raoul above. Throw in 13oz or so of either carapils or carafoam to help boost body and give the beer a nice creamy head.

Isn't the rye going to give it body and the small amount of crystal the head retention?

Oh and any suggestions on yeast? I like clean dry iPad that accentuate hops.

Looks good except don't know how much 4 oz of C10 is going to contribute. Agree with the carapils suggestion above. Maybe shift some of the citra to flameout addition?
Basically go with it and tweak the details on re-brew.

Isn't the rye going to give it body and the small amount of crystal the head retention?

Rye will certainly help, but I like my beers to have a real defined head that will leave a mustache long after the first sip. Carapils or carafoam will help as an insurance policy. Just a little more backbone. They won't contribute fermentable sugars, so in my mind, there isn't much to lose. Plus with a 14+ pound grain bill, 4 oz. of crystal may not be quite enough. Just my opinion though. :mug:

What? I have never used an iPad in my beers. When do you add it? Do you leave it in until the wort is cooled?[/QUOTE/]

I add one to every beer it acts like a sponge for all the crap or bad things that could happen to the beer. ;-)

So would you guys ditch the crystal 10 altogether and substitute a larger carapils amount or just add carapils. Plus I have never used victory malt so I don't want this beer to be sweet or carmely.

I'd ditch the chocolate rye and crystal 10, sub in a small amount of munich or carared. Don't bother with carapils.

The Chocolate rye is really just for color. And I already have victory isn't that just a darker munich

How come you don't like the chocolate rye. I have never used it before

In the black IPA in my signature I used 5% Carafa I, and it ruined the beer, IMO. Had I used a non-chocolate malt, it would have been much better. I've had two other people make comments on the weird chocolate taste.

Ok so so far I have subbed the chocolate rye (which I can't get at my local place anyway) for 2.9 oz carafa lll. So any inputs for the yeast. I was thinking San Diego super strain. Also should I actually put the carafa lll in the mash or just on top during the sparge

If you only need a dark malt for color adjustment, I'd go for Briess light roasted barley. Probably no more than 3 oz.

Victory is Briess' brand name for Melanoidin malt. It will give you strong malty and biscuity notes.

Rye will certainly boost the body, but if you want more you cold always sub in some wheat. However, the best way to boost body and insure great head retention, is to use carapils. As little as 2% of the grain bill should suffice.

Ok so new recioe same hop bill (so far)
11.5 2 row
2.5 rye
.75 Munich (10l)
.25 crystal 10
.18 carafa lll for color.
1lb rice hills

So what do you guys think. All good changes I may add some carapils but have not decided. And should I add the carafa at sparge?

Ok so so far I have subbed the chocolate rye (which I can't get at my local place anyway) for 2.9 oz carafa lll. So any inputs for the yeast. I was thinking San Diego super strain. Also should I actually put the carafa lll in the mash or just on top during the sparge

What are you looking for out of the yeast? That'll answer your question. If you want something clean and neutral, go with US-05/Cal Ale. If you want something slightly less attenuative, go with WLP-002. I use the 002 in most of my IPAs, Pale Ales, Porters, Stouts, almost everything. It ferments out quickly.

I like clean and neutral dry finishing ipas. I usually use wlp 001

Back