Red Hots Cider update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
View attachment 60602

Where did it go?

View attachment 60603

Right here.

View attachment 60604

Checking the gravity.

View attachment 60605

Looks like 1.000 to me.

View attachment 60606

Nice color, red from the red hot candy I add in the primary. Tastes like a mild sparkling wine to me, pretty damn good for only the first phase.

image-54785445.jpg

Added 1/2 can of apple juice concentrate and 5 oz. of red hot candies melted down with 1 cup water. Now 2 more weeks at least, then bottling.

Did you back sweeten with the concentrate and red hots syrup or did all that go in the primary during fermentation?

fbangie said:
Did you back sweeten with the concentrate and red hots syrup or did all that go in the primary during fermentation?

Back sweetend, but also added red hits during primary, same amount.

So the cider is complete. Bottled it for two weeks and placed a plastic bottle in with the glass bottles so I could keep track of the carbonation. When that plastic bottle was good and hard (ha ha) I placed the glass bottles in the fridge. Had one today and it was mighty refreshing. It did have a slight aftertaste but it was very light. Its carbonation characteristic was like that of a soda, very sparkly I would say and that's what I wanted.

Back