Red DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoeffler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a throwback, rich, malty DIPA for the holidays and was hoping to get your thoughts, especially on the Red-X and caramel malts. The CaraRed was used more for color. My initial thoughts were to use Caramunich I. I am intrigued by the red color but am targeting a deeper, warmer red to go along with the big body and forward hopping.

8 lbs RedX
7 lbs Pilsener
8 oz. CaraRed
4 oz. Special B

mashed at 148

1 oz Centennial @ 60 (30 IBUs)
1 oz Simcoe @ 20 (26 IBUs)
1 oz Amarillo @ 20 (19 IBUs)
2 oz Simcoe hopstand
2 oz Amarillo hopstand

San Diego Super Yeast

OG 1.072
FG 1.012
ABV 7.9
SRM 16

I’d probably avoid the Special B in favor of more CaraRed or Caramunich or C120 or even something like Extra Special or DRC. (I’m just not a Special B fan outside of dubbels.)

I’ve done similar red IPAs (though not DIPAs) with 50% Red X and been very happy with them. Last batch’s base malts were 50% Red X, 25% white wheat, and 25% Vienna. But Pilsner will work just fine, too.

This turned out great! A solid, malty backbone to balance the hops. The caramel malts were not too much.
FE803008-6B69-45FD-8739-26662E3C376A.jpeg

Back