Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciencePig

Reaction score
So I made my first red ale today. The kit was from Brewers Best, really nice get up. Came with Willamete hop pellets I bought some whole hops instead; $2 per oz and I got two oz it was a steal. I can't go wrong.

So I started the boil and the temp went a little high, 178 on the steeping, I was kind of mad but nothing I can do about it. Took it off the burner around 2 minutes remaining and added the Malt, then the hops, didn't really start the rolling boil until about 10 minutes in to the boil.

I added 1 oz. Will hops (alpha acid 5.1) at the first 55 minutes, then added the Aroma Will hops same acidity at the last 5. Chilled the wort with the hops in the pot and still waiting for it to cool for the rest of the process.
:tank:

Me do, did the same kit today as well....Color is awesome. I would be willing to swap a bottle for a bottle when its ready. email me at [email protected] for address info. Probably will be at least 7 weeks or so, i cold crash after 3 weeks primary and another 3 weeks bottle conditioning.

I just used the pellet hops, but had a nice cold break. had it down to 66 degrees in about 20 min or so....pitched within an hour after that.

Yea the color on mine was a little lighter then I wanted but still had a red/amber hue. I am not sure if I can send that to you through the mail. I have never attempted but I remember reading the PO one day that sending any package containing alcohol is prohibited, then again that was the PO not a courier service like UPS, DHL, FedEx or any others. I would love to swap out though.

I pitched it too hot. Down to about 75 - 80. I usually pitch around 60 - 70. I let the hops sit in the WORT during cooling so it may be a little bitter but the aroma should be pleasant. Here in TX it is hard to get a cold crash. I need to with this one. With racking to a secondary on this one it might be about 7 - 8 weeks as well.

Today the temp of the beer is around 75F. not my ideal but still decent. In the hot state of TX it is even more difficult to keep the temp under control. Well the good news is I plan to bring it to a cold crash by using a floor fan and a window unit. This will allow the beer to I think to bring a better a taste. I am going to rack in to a secondary to help clear brew.
The SG was a little lower, this was due to the high temp, I usually take it around 60 degrees F but due to my error in reading the thermometer the temp was read at 76F. don't know how I did that but I did. Now day two after brewing there is a lot of Co2 escaping and tomorrow I will take a gravity reading and post what I see.

Today the temp of the beer is around 75F. not my ideal but still decent. In the hot state of TX it is even more difficult to keep the temp under control. Well the good news is I plan to bring it to a cold crash by using a floor fan and a window unit. This will allow the beer to I think to bring a better a taste. I am going to rack in to a secondary to help clear brew.
The SG was a little lower, this was due to the high temp, I usually take it around 60 degrees F but due to my error in reading the thermometer the temp was read at 76F. don't know how I did that but I did. Now day two after brewing there is a lot of Co2 escaping and tomorrow I will take a gravity reading and post what I see.

Mine was running a bit high after it took off as well, i just wrapped a wet towel around it and put a fan next to it and it was back down to 64-66 degrees within a few hours. Try it, my first time and I'll be damed it worked pretty good..

I could do that, came home and the door was open and the AC off wife had the house at 80F !!!! I freaked out because the beer is in the north west side of the house where the sun sets and I was pretty sure that it was going to ruin the beer. So I closed the doors, windows and cranked the AC to 75 stuck an osalating fan in there and BAM started to drop the temp. Today the reading was around 75 - 70 degrees it was about 1.020, so adding a few points it was about 1.020 - 1.025. Temperature is key I know the beer will still turn out great!

Took another reading tonight. Dropped to 1.010 (respectively) I couldn't believe it. But it is OK. If it stays consistent for a few more days time to rack to secondary. It is kind of foggy but the secondary should clear that up.

Took another reading tonight. Dropped to 1.010 (respectively) I couldn't believe it. But it is OK. If it stays consistent for a few more days time to rack to secondary. It is kind of foggy but the secondary should clear that up.

Wow, my guess is that yours got a little warm buddy. Mine still have a nice thick head of krauzen on top and I dont even think about taking a gravity reading untill 2 weeks or so. Just leave it be bud, dont secondary it. It will clean up nicley in the primary, just leave it set for 3-4 weeks..

Heres mine this morning, Krauzen is just starting to fall back. Temp is 64-66, theres alot of bubbles on top which all my other brews had a crusted Krauzen. Used the safale 05 so it just may be a cleaner yeast strain possibly. Color is looking real nice, should be a pretty clear beer after 3 weeks primary and a cold crash.

Just a little concerned about the bubbles on top, hopefully its doesnt mean that its oxidizing.

IMG_1255.jpg

It looks good!

Mine had some bubbles too. The krauzen in mine dropped early today. I would post a picture but I have a plastic bucket so I can't get the visual I want. I need to upgrade to clear plastic or glass carboy. I have no doubt that it will turn out great, yours and mine, my color is a little off. I think it's because I used light Amber LME.

I'm still going transfer to secondary for dry hopping I enjoy a good hop aroma. I'm nuts for hops.

It looks good!

Mine had some bubbles too. The krauzen in mine dropped early today. I would post a picture but I have a plastic bucket so I can't get the visual I want. I need to upgrade to clear plastic or glass carboy. I have no doubt that it will turn out great, yours and mine, my color is a little off. I think it's because I used light Amber LME.

I'm still going transfer to secondary for dry hopping I enjoy a good hop aroma. I'm nuts for hops.

Thats a great idea, i wish i had planned more ahead. I would have made mine into a red IPA or something. Although just dry hopping seems dam mouth watering too. Yeah, some way or another we have to exchange bottles. Very interested in trying your dry hop method..

Hops are mouth watering. I did more research and it seems that almost all delivery services decline to ship booze of any nature, unless entered in a contract with one. This would be a great if the American Homebrew Association could enter in to a contract with one of them so we could ship to all members of the AHA. Yea I know it is a long shot but one can dream... right?

Back to the ALE! So thanks to all this rain we are having I am seeing a semi-cold crash. Down to 74F this morning. Looking good, temp wise. My plan to dry hop is going to be dropping about 1 - 2 oz of willamette hops (fresh whole hops from LHS or freshops.com) four days out from bottling. I think this will be a good combo for the hops. I brewed with Will hops and the hops have a flowery, earthy aroma to it and I believe this will give it a nice characteristic.

moved to secondary today. the reading was consistent for three days. Dropped some pellets, couldn't get a hold of willamette whole hops. I used willamette pellets. I figured 4 days to clear up and then bottle it.

moved to secondary today. the reading was consistent for three days. Dropped some pellets, couldn't get a hold of willamette whole hops. I used willamette pellets. I figured 4 days to clear up and then bottle it.

How many oz's did ya use to dry hop? Did ya put them in a muslin bag or just dump the pellets in? Hope shes coming along nicely my friend..

Dropped in 2 oz. Just dropped them there. Alot of postings and article suggest a device to use or dissolve the pellets then put it in. Whole hops soak up a lot of brew and pellets leave a lot more sediment, choose the lesser of the two evils. If you keg you can use a hop ball. But in latest issue of BYO people are using a cone. I'm unfamiliar with this process.

Well, i dry hopped mine last night with just an oz and a half of willamettes. Just dry hopped in primary and gonna wait 10 days then cold crash to drop all that sludge....She smells wonderful, hopefully it turns out nice.. Hows your coming along, you must already be ready to bottle, no?

It will Come out great. Yes mine has now been bottled. And getting ready for a dry Irish stout. I plan to get the ingredients with in the next two weeks and have it ready by December. I figure about a 6 - 7 week time frame. Ill start a new thread for that one

My son found a couple bottles last night of red ale that I had done from a Brewers Best kit. The label showed that they had been bottled September 30, 2010. He said that the one he sampled came out pretty smooth. Give your brew plenty of time to ferment out (more than the week the kit instructions call for) and time to mature and you'll have some fine drinking.

Yum! Color is good. Smooth sweet but a hit of hops for a bitter chase. Good head crisp finish. Aroma is perfect IMHO.

ForumRunner_20111102_204507.jpg

Hows yours

Came out real nice, once i crack another one open will post a pic. I actually entered it into a contest today and it took first place. So glad ya gave me the idea to dry hop, its a very well balanced brew....

I made a Red Ale in October...
I also switched to kegs and I am 100% pleased...very drinkable beer and will make this again soon.

Pic of Ale...
IMG_6622.jpg

Back