Red Ale input/feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So, St. Patrick's day isn't too far off and it'll be the first time I can brew in time for the holiday. I want to make an American Red Ale (something almost on the hoppy side). I am a partial mash brewer. Here is what I was thinking.
Grains / Extract:
3.3 lbs Briess Pale Ale Liquid Extract
3 lbs Sparkling Amber Dry Extract
2 lbs Golden Promise Pale Malt
12oz CaraRed
10oz Crystal 60
6oz Crystal 80

Hops:
I was thinking a combo of Azacca / Jarrylo
or go with a Cascade / Pekko combo

Yeast: US-05

Beer smith says this will be an American Red IPA. Any feedback would be appreciated

That's a LOT of crystal malt. I'm assuming you're making a 5g batch - aim for no more than 1 lb of crystal - either one variety or combined. The almost two pounds you propose would make it cloyingly sweet, even with all of the hops you want. A combination of .5 lb of 80 and .5 lb of 40 will add layered complexity. Get your redness from a small addition of roasted barley, maybe .1 or .15 lbs.

Good choice on the yeast. Try WLP004 if you want to dry it out.

so you think I should get rid of the carared altogether?

what I used for my basis came from another site and not sure if Im allowed to post links to outside sites on here.

so you think I should get rid of the carared altogether?

what I used for my basis came from another site and not sure if Im allowed to post links to outside sites on here.

I can't see percentages on your grainbill, but if you have 10_12% crystal malt, it will be good as ling as you have enough bittering. it's hard for us to guess at the IBUs and OG and percentages, though. If you have those, we could give better advice

using beersmith, it says my percentages are
Extracts and Pale Malt: 83%
Carared: 7%
Crystal 60: 6%
Crystal 80: 4%

Don't forget there will be some crystal in the amber extract, in addition to the 17% you've got in grains. I agree with the others that's a lot. I'd probably go all pale extract and drop one of your 3 crystal malts.

ill drop the crystal 60, will it be red enough or should I add something else to make up for it?

A touch of roasted malt (or Carafa dehusked) should be enough to give you the red you're looking for. If you want some husky maltiness to stand up to the hoppiness, consider about .5 lb of amber malt.

Back