Rectangular Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals. I see a lot of step by step instructions for building a mash tun out of 10 gallon round beverage coolers. What I don't see are steps for converting a rectangular cooler to a mash tun. I tried to find a 10 gallon round cooler for sale and they are all $45 and up, from what I found. After giving up on the round cooler idea, I realized that I have a large rectangular cooler at home that we don't use and that I can convert to a mash tun.

That being said, what do I need to use for the bottom? Can I use the braided stainless tube like what I see in the bottom of the round ones or because there's more surface area on the bottom, do I need something else that covers more of the bottom of the cooler?

Any advice, pictures, how-to instructions are appreciated.

Thanks.

American Homebrewers Association has a lot of great resources, including instructions and video of creating a mash tun out of a rectangular cooler. If you're not a member yet, I highly encourage it.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/building-a-mash-tun-has-never-been-so-easy/

You can follow their setup with the rubber bung or go the route of brass fittings for the bulkhead. Either work, it just depends on your preferences. The rubber bung reportedly (by Denny Conn) will last a long time. I've heard in interviews and in his and Drew's Experimental Brewing podcast that he has been using the same mash tun for 10+yrs.

You can use a braided stainless tube. It doesn't need to be particularly long. I would think at minimum 6" would be sufficient. I've had issues with longer braids wanting to float in the mash and interfere with the stirring.

Build a copper manifold to the dimensions of your cooler. Drill a bunch of small holes on the side of the tubing that faces the bottom, install a ball valve with matching connections and that it.

I think most people actually start with the rectangular and move to a round cooler as you can get a false bottom for them

It's not that complicated. You can probably build one in like 30 min

I use a rectangular cooler for my mash tun. I took out the stock plug and added a bulkhead and ball valve to it. Instead of building a manifold or braided tube I got a brew bag that was sized to fit the cooler and use that as my filter.

I started with a round Igloo and with with a brew bag in it to mash like the Brulosophy guys do. I've gone to a rectangular one as I want to do 10 gallon batches and I couldn't effectively do it wiht the Igloo.

So I passed it on to a friend that is getting into the hobby and got a rectangular brew bag.

Back