Recommendations for Plastic Carboy/Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading up on carboys and decided to go with a plastic one. It appears quite a few people go with the Fermonster, which I'm leaning towards for cost and size options. I'm also considering the Speidel, BrewDemon, and Catalyst.

Anyone have experience with multiple of these that could give a recommendation in any direction, or is it worth going with a conical fermenter to harvest the yeast? I hesitate going for the BrewDemon or Catalyst, since they are approaching or at the price of some stainless steel options.

The plastic conical fermenters seem like an over priced comprise to me. I settled on the Fermonster and am happy with it though secretly dream of a stainless conical. Harvesting yeast is easy in a carboy, the big benefit of conicals is that they decrease the contact area of the beer with the yeast, which on home brewing levels is of questionable value.

I'm very happy with my catalyst...especially since I installed the ball valve option. I also really like the mason jar trub trap/yeast harvester... Super easy to deal with and I can see my beer fermenting.

I also use a glass carboy on occasion which is heavy and fragile...right now I have some IPA dryhopping in a plastic big mouth bubbler...northern sent me a carrier that takes care of the lid issue (for free! Great customer service!!)

Plastic is nice and light....just be careful cleaning the PET stuff so it doesn't scratch.

It depends on how much you are willing to invest. When I started brewing, I did not have the money to invest in all SS equipment, so I went for Speidel fermenters. They are not conicals, but are really, sturdy, very easy to clean, move and handle, they come with an oversized airlock and a big mouth opening, good for eacy cleaning and dry hopping/adding various things in the beer. They are resistent to acid and can tolerate temperatures up to 60C, I think.

I have 5 by the way and I am completely satisfied with them.

I'm trying to keep my costs under control to start off, however if there is an advantage to spend the extra money upfront for the long term I will. That being said, not sure I'm ready to invest in stainless yet, the Catalyst system seemed interesting to me for what appears to be an ease of use with one valve on the bottom, also looks to be made of some more scratch resistant plastic, and it is the most I would look to spend at the moment. On the flip side I could get quite a few Fermonsters for the same price, for what sounds like minimally extra work.

I love my Fermonsters.
Forget the hype about stainless and conicals ;)

the big benefit of conicals is that they decrease the contact area of the beer with the yeast, which on home brewing levels is of questionable value.
... and the Fermonster has a punted bottom, so the yeast concentrate in a ring.

I went Better Bottle, to a Fermonster, to a Speidel. They all work and get the job done, but now they all sit as I use my SS BrewBucket.

Honestly, you can make good beer and win awards in pretty much any kind of fermentor. With "makes good beer" ticked off, it comes down to price, convenience, safety, looks.

Stainless cleans easier, looks cooler, easy to clean, oxygen impermeable, and if you get an infection it's easier to get rid of.

Glass is like stainless but is transparent (actually very useful) but fragile, some might say dangerous.

Plastic is cheap and tough, works fine, but if you get an infection it may mean replacement.

Conicals (plastic or stainless) are nice-to-have but not essential by any means.

Pressure-fermentors let you do closed transfers (less oxygen pickup) and you can carbonate in the primary which saves time and CO2.

There's a bunch of different combinations out there. I think anyone serious about brewing will go through several fermentors in their brewing career. I used plastic buckets until I got infections in them, replaced them with a plastic pressure conical, then corny kegs (aka cheap stainless pressure fermentors), and recently a stainless pressure conical.

Personally I highly rate pressure fermentors over any other kind. Less oxygen makes better beer and being able to carbonate in primary saves both time and gas. If you want a cheap stainless pressure fermentor, look no further than a standard corny keg with a spunding valve. Only downside is the size - you can't ferment 5 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon corny so you need two of them linked together.

But when you are starting out and you have a bunch of other things to spend money on, it's hard to beat a plain plastic bucket,or a fermonster. Stainless is awesome but don't let anyone tell you that you can't make great beer in plastic.

I have been reading up on carboys and decided to go with a plastic one. It appears quite a few people go with the Fermonster, which I'm leaning towards for cost and size options. I'm also considering the Speidel, BrewDemon, and Catalyst.

Anyone have experience with multiple of these that could give a recommendation in any direction, or is it worth going with a conical fermenter to harvest the yeast? I hesitate going for the BrewDemon or Catalyst, since they are approaching or at the price of some stainless steel options.

Do a quick calculation on how much yeast you need to harvest to recoup the extra cost of the conical. I suspect you will be years waiting to save money unless you are brewing a lot of beer and then if you ever get an infection and it transfers to the next batch through the harvested yeast and you dump both batches, where did the savings go?

I'm an advocate for plastic bucket fermenters. Nice big opening to pour the wort into, handles to carry them, big opening to get in for cleaning, and cheap too. For the price of a Big Mouth Bubbler from Northern Brewer, you can buy 2 bucket fermenters. That give you the option of 2 batches going at once.

Do a quick calculation on how much yeast you need to harvest to recoup the extra cost of the conical. I suspect you will be years waiting to save money unless you are brewing a lot of beer and then if you ever get an infection and it transfers to the next batch through the harvested yeast and you dump both batches, where did the savings go?

I'm an advocate for plastic bucket fermenters. Nice big opening to pour the wort into, handles to carry them, big opening to get in for cleaning, and cheap too. For the price of a Big Mouth Bubbler from Northern Brewer, you can buy 2 bucket fermenters. That give you the option of 2 batches going at once.
I've saved a LOT of money by harvesting yeast. I could easily buy a top end stainless conical with the savings from harvesting yeast. That said, you don't need a conical to harvest yeast. Harvesting from the bottom of a plastic bucket works just fine.

Plastic fermenters are easy to clean. Fill with PBW solution, soak, and rinse. Periodically soak dismantled spigot.
No scrubbing.

As for looks, I'd rather see the fermentation unfold rather than shiny stainless or cheap HDPE.

PET and even HDPE don't let in oxygen fast enough to matter, even with sours aging for years.

For infections, even if you can't sanitize it, replacing plastic occasionally still puts it far ahead in terms of price. ... Unless you buy an expensive plastic conical.

People do closed transfers with Fermonsters. All you need is a few PSI of CO2. There are threads about it here.

Fermonsters aren’t rated for pressure but I can tell you from experience that they easily handle 5psi and that’s way more than you’ll ever need to protect you beer from O2.

I have 4 Fermonsters and love them. Thought about a conical but wasn't sure they'd fit in my fermentation chamber. Now I just make a bigger yeast starter and save some, so i dont harvest from the fermenter any more.

Edit - I do closed transfers with them and created a thread about it in the diy section.

I dont have experience with others, but i use a fermenasaurus and i love it. Ferments under pressure, saves my yeast, large port for easy dry hopping. Durrable and light.

I absolutely recommend Speidel and upgrade it with NorCalBrewingSolutions stainless fittings.
With their stuff I was able to get my Speidels to:
  • Install Liquid and Gas corny keg posts
  • do pressurized transfers
  • Co2 purge the fermentor
  • Install a thermowell for precise fermentation
  • You can even do a racking arm
Plus they are compact and fit in many small fridges for temp control.

I did about 50 batches on them and if I stick to plastic I would get them again.

Holla'

Back