Recommendations for first all-grain brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonD13

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading the forums here for awhile, lots of good info and ideas.

My friend and I are almost finished with our all-grain setup, and I'm looking for ideas for the first batch with it. We've been brewing extract/partial mash brews for almost 2 years, covering most of the style range.

I purchased a 50# bag of Breiss 2 row pale malt a few weeks ago, and plan on roasing my own specialty malts eventually, but will probably order whatever specialty stuff we need for the first batch to eliminate as many variables as possible.

What do you guys like to use to break in a new rig (aside from obviously testing everything for leaks and rinsing with water first)? What will showcase the advantages of all-grain brewing best, to make all the work and investment seem worthwhile?

Thanks for any recommendations,
Don

Pick something that you enjoy drinking. Maybe something that is middle of the road. Maybe an APA, brown ale, stout......? From my experience, I would not go with anything too too hoppy. If efficiency comes in low, you will end up with something that is really out of whack. I tried an IPA for my first AG, and came in at something like 1.052 instead of 1.065. It was really quite bitter. Still drank it though!!!!

Choose something you like. If you have an extract recipe that you really like, try the all grain version for a nice comparison.

I wouldn't recommend anything that is super light, as low efficiency or odd mash temps can mess light beers up a bit. Just be flexible, either boil off or add malt extract to adjust your gravity.

I just did my first last night. Bubbling away downstairs.

Was Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. Easy enough. Low gravity. And from what I've read very tasty.

I'll specifically recommend Dude's Lake Walk Pale ale or Edwort's Bee Cave Haus Ale. Dude's is more along the lines of an IPA, it was my first AG and I totally enjoyed it.

I would have recommended an original bitters, but you just bought a big sack of 2-row.

I would say do an APA. These styles are great for beginning with because if it is more bitter than expected, tell people it is an IPA, if it is too malty, say it is a brown or red ale. It is a very flexible style that will be good for tuning your system.

I second Ed Worts Haus Pale - It was my 1st just a few weeks ago and seemed like a nice smooth starter.

Doing my first AG in a couple weeks and I'm going with Ed Worts Haus Pale. Simple ingredients, simple mash schedule, and if you go with dry - simple yeast.

Also, I wanted to go with a fairly light colored beer. Tired of all my recipes coming out darker than expected because of caramelized extract.

In addition to the great suggestions so far; I would make something kinda 'middle of the road' regarding color. IMO unless you have really soft or really hard water you're more likely to have a proper mash pH that way.

Back