Recommend a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I really wanted to brew this weekend but my local brew store is more of a hobby than a store so it will be closed until late next week. I've got plenty of grains to use but I only have lager yeast and 1 oz of mt hood hops at 5.5% and 1 oz of brewers gold hops at 9.7%. I'm not good at designing recipes yet as I'm pretty much still an amateur. It is forecast to be gorgeous this weekend and I could think of nothing better than sitting out on the porch brewing. (plus my wife can't give me chores if I'm already busy)

I would go with a stout, 1 OZ of hood at 60 and 1/2 OZ brewers gold, at 30min for 5 gal batch and if you don't have any dark grains you can always roast them in the oven and shoot for 5-6% ABV can't really give grain bill, but if your efficiency 70% go with 10lbs of 2 row and 1-2lbs of dark malt.

That would be pretty easy to brew up. I've got plenty of roasted grains to use. I don't think I can hit 70% yet so I would probably go with 12ish lbs 2 row and 3ish lbs of dark just to get the OG up enough. What kinds of dark malts make up a good stout?

i used a hair of black malt and a mix of chocolate and roast for my xmas stout. was pretty decent but i also used spices so that masked them a bit. i'd say that's a decent starting point for stout brewing.

I don't have any black but do have chocolate. Do you guys think those two hops would work well together in a lager beer though?

You don't want to go too nuts with the black stuff, but if you have any black patent or roasted barley 2 or 4oz respectively (not both) wouldn't go amiss.

Back