Recirculation Manifold, Loc Line or Spray Nozzle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adpostel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Putting together my Single Vessel eBIAB 5 gallon setup and trying to figure out the best recirculation method to go with...

I have a 5500w PID controlled element and a pump, so wanting to set my system up to be able to control mash temps and step mash. Using a Brew Hardware false bottom and a Wilserbag, also buying a new probe to go into a T fitting coming off my ball valve.

Thanks

Attachments

• 9B71B1B5-4025-48B5-B3DD-DADF3E1E9F1E.png
    9B71B1B5-4025-48B5-B3DD-DADF3E1E9F1E.png
    875.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 79884433-6908-4EC2-804C-ECBE2564CCB5.png
    79884433-6908-4EC2-804C-ECBE2564CCB5.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 177
  • A012F4E0-6417-4930-B87E-9B692792B325.png
    A012F4E0-6417-4930-B87E-9B692792B325.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 164
I’ve got the same setup and really like the ss brewtech manifold. It’s the only one I’ve found that flows up in the mash and disperses it mostly evenly. And it allows a pretty high flow rate, I do a lot of step mashes.

+1 for the SS Brewtech manifold for step mashes (although I'm not BIAB). I switched from a silicone tube to the SS Brewtech for both HERMS recirculation and sparging and it's great.

And I’ve got one for sale since I upgraded to their 20g manifold.

PM me if you’re interested.

you don't need all that stuff...just run your return hose into the kettle.

BIAB you are doing full volume mash so the grain bed is well below the water level. You don't need a sparge arm or anything to "distribute" the wort over the grain. Just have the hose tucked under the kettle lid and let the pump run.

I agree it doesn't need to be distributed but I favor any method that doesn't drill itself down into the grain too far which is why I like the Locline solution the best. The outlet stays exactly where you put it.

I'm using lineloc through the lid bent to a L shape under the surface of the wort to create a swirling motion without splashing. Its working out well.

you don't need all that stuff...just run your return hose into the kettle.

BIAB you are doing full volume mash so the grain bed is well below the water level. You don't need a sparge arm or anything to "distribute" the wort over the grain. Just have the hose tucked under the kettle lid and let the pump run.

This. I got a ss float for 3/8" silicone and just float it on the top.

Where can I find these stainless floats? Interested for 1/2 inch silicone.

Anything but a sprayer.
Hey Bobby, why not sprayer for BIAB? CLAWHAMMER provides these as part of their BIAB system. Too difficult to regulate? I know you need to use higher pump flow to get it to produce good spray pattern...

Just curious. I’m going to order some Loc-line from you this week.

Cheers🍻

KBW.

Last edited:
Hey Bobby, why not sprayer for BIAB? CLAWHAMMER provides these as part of their BIAB system. Too difficult to regulate? I know you need to use higher pump flow to get it to produce good spray pattern...

Whether you buy into the science of malt oxidation to some degree or not, there is no benefit to spraying your wort through the air for 60 minutes. At best it causes heat loss faster. At worse, you generate the precursors for staling and kill your malt flavors. I believe clawhammer is remiss in their design.

I just saw that, thank you! I actually see that blichman sells them direct as well. I’m still debating on the setup I’d like to use.

I just saw that, thank you! I actually see that blichman sells them direct as well. I’m still debating on the setup I’d like to use.
Yeah, it can be a tough choice. Still can’t say I have a strong preference, but I’m going to experiment (i.e. fool around) with them when weather gets cold. I believe Bobby M. gave some solid feed on spray nozzles.

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t use a sprayer.
my options are looking like:
1. (I made my own post about this) I have a tri clamp port at the top of my kettle I use for a steam slayer. I’m wondering if just connecting my return hose to the port would be sufficient. My mash volume will typically exceed this port. The only pitfall I can think of is that the flow will need to pass through the bag I use for BIAB.
2. Just the silicone hose held by a spring clamp
3. Stainless float
4. Some type of diffuser plate

I've got the basic loc line setup (just one inlet and one outlet). It doesn't cause channeling, doesn't clog and has been very durable (threads too). I usually put the outlet just beneath the mash surface pointing sideways...then I keep flow rate high during recirc and slow during sparge.
My practice has been to take it off and dunk the whole thing in hot PBW after brew day and flex it around several times. Not that I've looked inside with a boroscope, but I believe it's getting reasonably clean afterwards.

I don’t recirculate but I fly sparge with locline just under the water level in the MLT pointed sideways. I get a very gentle whirlpool-like motion that doesn’t affect the grain bed. I’m very happy with it.

Back