Recirculation Manifold, Loc Line or Spray Nozzle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

adpostel

Reaction score
Putting together my Single Vessel eBIAB 5 gallon setup and trying to figure out the best recirculation method to go with...

I have a 5500w PID controlled element and a pump, so wanting to set my system up to be able to control mash temps and step mash. Using a Brew Hardware false bottom and a Wilserbag, also buying a new probe to go into a T fitting coming off my ball valve.

Thanks

Attachments

Wagon_6

Reaction score
I’ve got the same setup and really like the ss brewtech manifold. It’s the only one I’ve found that flows up in the mash and disperses it mostly evenly. And it allows a pretty high flow rate, I do a lot of step mashes.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for the SS Brewtech manifold for step mashes (although I'm not BIAB). I switched from a silicone tube to the SS Brewtech for both HERMS recirculation and sparging and it's great.

Jtvann

Reaction score
And I’ve got one for sale since I upgraded to their 20g manifold.

PM me if you’re interested.

OP
A

adpostel

Reaction score
And I’ve got one for sale since I upgraded to their 20g manifold.

PM me if you’re interested.
I sent you a message through the site message system....

OP
A

adpostel

Reaction score
Thanks Jtvann, I guess I'm going with the SS Brewtech Manifold, should work out just fine.

OP
A

adpostel

Reaction score
Anything but a sprayer.
Thanks, Bobby.... I'm going through my system now and figuring out which camlocks I need and will be ordering some from you soon. I already received my false bottom and Wilserbag from you. Thanks.

odie

Reaction score
you don't need all that stuff...just run your return hose into the kettle.

BIAB you are doing full volume mash so the grain bed is well below the water level. You don't need a sparge arm or anything to "distribute" the wort over the grain. Just have the hose tucked under the kettle lid and let the pump run.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I agree it doesn't need to be distributed but I favor any method that doesn't drill itself down into the grain too far which is why I like the Locline solution the best. The outlet stays exactly where you put it.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using lineloc through the lid bent to a L shape under the surface of the wort to create a swirling motion without splashing. Its working out well.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
you don't need all that stuff...just run your return hose into the kettle.

BIAB you are doing full volume mash so the grain bed is well below the water level. You don't need a sparge arm or anything to "distribute" the wort over the grain. Just have the hose tucked under the kettle lid and let the pump run.
This. I got a ss float for 3/8" silicone and just float it on the top.

KBW PilotHouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anything but a sprayer.
Hey Bobby, why not sprayer for BIAB? CLAWHAMMER provides these as part of their BIAB system. Too difficult to regulate? I know you need to use higher pump flow to get it to produce good spray pattern...

Just curious. I’m going to order some Loc-line from you this week.

Cheers🍻

KBW.

KBW PilotHouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where can I find these stainless floats? Interested for 1/2 inch silicone.
I bought float from Bewha but the ID is a little larger than 1/2”, if you’re looking for snug fit - this ain’t it. It does keep hose from sinking much below liquid level though.

Adventures in Homebrewing URL:
SS Float Ball for Hose (Blichmann Auto Sparge part)

Cheers🍻

KBW.

Last edited:

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey Bobby, why not sprayer for BIAB? CLAWHAMMER provides these as part of their BIAB system. Too difficult to regulate? I know you need to use higher pump flow to get it to produce good spray pattern...
Whether you buy into the science of malt oxidation to some degree or not, there is no benefit to spraying your wort through the air for 60 minutes. At best it causes heat loss faster. At worse, you generate the precursors for staling and kill your malt flavors. I believe clawhammer is remiss in their design.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
I just saw that, thank you! I actually see that blichman sells them direct as well. I’m still debating on the setup I’d like to use.

KBW PilotHouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw that, thank you! I actually see that blichman sells them direct as well. I’m still debating on the setup I’d like to use.
Yeah, it can be a tough choice. Still can’t say I have a strong preference, but I’m going to experiment (i.e. fool around) with them when weather gets cold. I believe Bobby M. gave some solid feed on spray nozzles.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
Yeah I definitely wouldn’t use a sprayer.
my options are looking like:
1. (I made my own post about this) I have a tri clamp port at the top of my kettle I use for a steam slayer. I’m wondering if just connecting my return hose to the port would be sufficient. My mash volume will typically exceed this port. The only pitfall I can think of is that the flow will need to pass through the bag I use for BIAB.
2. Just the silicone hose held by a spring clamp
3. Stainless float
4. Some type of diffuser plate

bkboiler

Reaction score
I've got the basic loc line setup (just one inlet and one outlet). It doesn't cause channeling, doesn't clog and has been very durable (threads too). I usually put the outlet just beneath the mash surface pointing sideways...then I keep flow rate high during recirc and slow during sparge.
My practice has been to take it off and dunk the whole thing in hot PBW after brew day and flex it around several times. Not that I've looked inside with a boroscope, but I believe it's getting reasonably clean afterwards.

csantoni

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t recirculate but I fly sparge with locline just under the water level in the MLT pointed sideways. I get a very gentle whirlpool-like motion that doesn’t affect the grain bed. I’m very happy with it.