Recirculation effect on mash temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizwold1

Grizwold Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew on an all-in-one (Anvil 6.5), I have read about uneven mash temps, with the actual temperature lower than what is desired. Is this still the case when recirculating continuously during the mash? Seems like it shouild even out the mash temp, making it more homogeneous, at least in theory. Not so much in real life?

I use a Grainfather. It recirculates the entire mash and holds the mash desired temp really well. It may swing a degree or 2 every so often , but it corrects itself.

I brew on an all-in-one (Anvil 6.5), I have read about uneven mash temps, with the actual temperature lower than what is desired. Is this still the case when recirculating continuously during the mash? Seems like it shouild even out the mash temp, making it more homogeneous, at least in theory. Not so much in real life?
the area below the grain bed is always higher than the mash and that's where the temp probe is on the Anvils, it can be tricky to get the correct flow without clogging the grain bed and still show the correct temp, for that reason I've added a thermowell temp probe in the mash itself on mine and I follow that temp and adjust the set point accordingly, in my case it can be 2 or 3 degrees off resulting in a lower mash temp

I follow anvils recommendation of using rice hulls, stirring occasionally (lift as well) while I use the pump on my 6.5 and my pro temp thermometer tells me that the top is the same temp as the the anvil probe. Plus I have been hitting my numbers numbers since I have been being more attentive to keep things from getting stagnant.

I don’t agree with the bottom being the hottest of the malt pipe since you are pumping the hot water nearest the element back to the top. IMO it’s the middle that will be the coolest but grain and water don’t lose heat that easily so with the rice hulls and stir steps anvil suggests, I’m confident that there is very little material thermo difference for mash purposes. Keep in mind that if you are doing a single step mash you are doing a blend of enzymatic reactions anyway so a little variation above and below mash temp is meeting your objective anyway.

Thanks all! I don't use the malt pipe anymore-instead I have a false bottom and bag, so lifting to mix is, I think, a non-issue. My intuition is that the recirculation should minimize the temperature variations but just wondered what others thought/found. Appreciate the input!

I follow anvils recommendation of using rice hulls, stirring occasionally (lift as well) while I use the pump on my 6.5 and my pro temp thermometer tells me that the top is the same temp as the the anvil probe. Plus I have been hitting my numbers numbers since I have been being more attentive to keep things from getting stagnant.

I don’t agree with the bottom being the hottest of the malt pipe since you are pumping the hot water nearest the element back to the top. IMO it’s the middle that will be the coolest but grain and water don’t lose heat that easily so with the rice hulls and stir steps anvil suggests, I’m confident that there is very little material thermo difference for mash purposes. Keep in mind that if you are doing a single step mash you are doing a blend of enzymatic reactions anyway so a little variation above and below mash temp is meeting your objective anyway.
the element is under the malt pipe, and so is the temp probe, this is a known fact with bib as well, if circulating correctly its fine

Thanks all! I don't use the malt pipe anymore-instead I have a false bottom and bag, so lifting to mix is, I think, a non-issue. My intuition is that the recirculation should minimize the temperature variations but just wondered what others thought/found. Appreciate the input!

Yes , recirculating minimizes the temp swings

I had occasion to check this recently. I use a Brewer’s Best Mash and Boil. I have a recirculation pump that is free standing. With the pump ”off” (and no stirring) my Delta T from top to bottom of the malt pipe approached 15 degrees F This was measured with a Fluke Model 54 II using a waterproof thermocouple. The Fluke had been recently checked in boiling distilled water and the BP was correct for my altitude. With the pump on and frequent stirring Delta T was < 2 DF. I can’t speak to anyone else’s set-up but it makes a difference in mine.

Latest posts

Back