Recipe with Wheat Malt as the "base malt"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
Hello all! Completely out of beer :eek: and need to brew something soon! Built a dunkleweizen recipe a while back, with a lot of the grist being 2-row Belgian pale malt. But then I decided to try something I haven't done before and make a beer with no 2-row base malt. Is this recipe feasible (read: will it convert the starch properly?) Recipe listed below, with each malt's diastatic power in lintner according to BeerSmith:

6# White Wheat Malt (74.0)
4# Munich Malt (72.0)
0.5# Chocolate Malt (0.0)

1.00oz Tett @ 60min

I usually mash for 60 minutes but have no problem moving to 90 if it's necessary.
Thanks ahead of time!

Munich malt has pretty good diastatic power, and can even make up 100% of the bill. You'll probably still get pretty decent conversion with that recipe in my estimation.

It would help if the Munich was 6-row...

I would mash 90 minutes for good measure.

EDIT: I just noticed you said wheat malt. You should be fine with a thin mash and a protein rest.

I've never used that much wheat malt before (no more than 40% in my batches, and did experience some stuck mashes). I would recommend a protein rest of at least a half hour as well.

I've done a 6lb wheat to 4lb pils malt ratio in a hefe before. A handfull of rice hulls helps. If you dont have them, a protein rest that spans into the beta glucan rest temp will help a lot.

Also, I have no proof of this, but I'm almost positive that most wheat malts have an even higher diastatic power than pale 2 row or pils malt. In addition, Munich IS a base malt (and is made from 2 row barley) in that it usually makes up a large portion or all of a grist in a beer, and it has to be mashed. It has a much lower diastatic power than pale 2 row malts since it is kilned longer.

I've done a 6lb wheat to 4lb pils malt ratio in a hefe before. A handfull of rice hulls helps. If you dont have them, a protein rest that spans into the beta glucan rest temp will help a lot.
Definitely. A protein rest would help prevent a stuck mash with that much wheat. Also, a thin mash would be better.

Also, I have no proof of this, but I'm almost positive that most wheat malts have an even higher diastatic power than pale 2 row or pils malt.
I believe they're about equal. I don't have proof either though.

Thanks for the input everybody!

In response to some topics brought up by a couple posters:
- I have a recipe for a hefe that's 50% Wheat Malt, 40% Belgian 2-row and 10% other and even without rice hulls it came out fine with no sticking. I will still probably end up buying a couple handfuls at the LHBS today
- I've never done a protein rest, even with high levels of wheat malt. Just running a basic cooler and stove-top (full boil even... gotta love that high elevation! Boils at 204*F) so I feel doing a protein rest would add more time to my brew day and would result in little improvement. What is there really to gain from a protein rest if you're using all highly-modified grain (which I'm assuming Wheat Malt is)

Again, thank you and I'll let everybody know how it turns out

EDIT: Hypothetically, if I were to do a protein rest, where would the beta-glucan rest temperature be? BeerSmith's Double-Infusion pre-setting has it at 122*F. Also, can I eliminate the mash-out if doing a double-infusion? Haven't done a mash-out since my second all-grain and nothing has gone awry thus far.

A protein rest is more appropriate for unmalted wheat. Most wheat malts today are highly modified, so a protein rest isn't always necessary, although you would decrease your chances of a stuck mash. You should be fine, though.

I've done 50/50 wheat malt and 2-row.
+1 for thin mash and protein rest.

My concern is that wheat malt has no husks for the filter bed.
And the drier Munich husks may not work as well as 2-row.
I recommend moistening the Munich with a spray bottle before milling.
(see Malt Conditioning)

Back