Recipe Suggestions Needed for a Pomegranate Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BishopBrews

Reaction score
Hey guys, still relatively new to the board, wanted to do some ahead of time research on here and pick your brains on thoughts for a pomegranate pilsner. Has anyone ever brewed with pomegranate before? pilsner suggestions? Any help would be awesome for a humble noobie here!

Bishop

Fort Collins brewrey in, well Fort Collins does a pom wheat that is ok. I think that the juice itself seems to have some off flavors that are hard to get rid say if you add it in the boil. I think making a base beer and then adding in your juice (concentrate or otherwise) in secondary before you rack into secondary is a good way to do this. I have tried this method with watermelon and it is still one of my very favorite brews and turns out very well, this is also the way I want to make a hibiscus wheat (crossed fingers) good luck and keep good notes its the best way to learn.
Z

Thanks a lot Z! Seems like I'm going to have to get a little creative with this one. I'm just wondering how much pom juice i'd want to put into a 5 gallon wort. Suggestions anyone?

Yea, I did a pomegranate blonde. Still have in in the keg. Decent beer. My first beer that has a somewhat "odd" flavor. I believe this to be the pomegranate flavor. The beer is good, and very unique. I am aging it more to see if the flavors mend more. Instead of juice, I used and would use again pomegranate molasses/syrup commonly found in ethic food stores. (big in persian cuisine)

Interesting. I'm considering a pomegranite wit personally. I'd probably put the juice and the seeds from 2-4 pomegranites in the secondary. Maybe more?

I have yet to do a flavored pils, but I have had my fair share of them. Advice I was given by a brewer on a lambic I am doing is any beer you put on fruit for flavor, add a little bit less than what you assume you may need to add. That way, if your beer is slightly less fruity you still have a good beer, but an overly fruity beer just takes all the joy away from it/can make it taste like cough medicine.

Back