Recipe showcasing Amarillo hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
I am going to brew in a couple weeks. I generally use traditional American hops (Cascades, Centennial, etc.) In my beers, but I recently bought a pound of Amarillo. As the subject line says, I am looking for a recipe to showcase Amarilo.

With that being said, I prefer beers in the 4 to 5.5% range for ABV. I know that an IPA would be the most logical way to make the hop flavor shine, but I prefer an American Pale Ale any day.

I am thinking about either Yooper's PA or Ed Wort's PA recipes, but using all Amarillo. Does anyone have any better suggestions? I know a SMASH would be another logical way to accomplish this, but I typically drink all 5 gallons myself so I don't want the beer to be too one dimensional.

Tim

I have a sack of Maris Otter & one of two row on hand, but I'm open to any suggestions. Also, I have Wyeast ESB and Conan strains in the fridge.

Last edited:
Although you aren't keen on a SMaSH, a Maris/Amarillo SMaSH will be great -- even for a future beer. Do a highish mash temp for body, and load up the late, whirlpool and dry hop additions. It'll be delicious and allow the full profile come through. I'd go with a neutral yeast, though, like 1056/001.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Amarillo is one of my top three favourite hops and seems to have fallen down the collective list in popularity since the big fruity hops have come on the market. I remember years ago you couldn't get Amarillo for neither love nor money because the breweries had bought it all up.

Cheers and let us know what you decide, and how it turns out.

I think a pale ale with amarillo instead of cascade sounds great! Amarillo is one of my favorite American hops to use- I'm down to under two pounds in my freezer stash, and I don't think those will be around long. I love using them in pale ales (and IPAs).

I'd probably bitter with something neutral, like magnum, and then use amarillo for flavor, aroma, and dryhops.

100% Vienna malt with Amarillo and some Simcoe sounds tasty. I'm not a big fan of Amarillo by itself.

The reason I mentioned those 2 Pale Ale recipes is bc I have brewed them both (using Cascades) with success. I appreciate the responses so far. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

The reason I mentioned those 2 Pale Ale recipes is bc I have brewed them both (using Cascades) with success. I appreciate the responses so far. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I've use Palmers APA recipe from How to Brew and changed the late hop additions to Amarillo. I adjust the weight of the hops to maintain the same IBU as the original recipe. for steeping/whirlpool or dry hop you can do a 1:1 substitution. the same method should work for the two recipes you mentioned.

Da Yooper's pale ale would be a great choice. I have made it three times while varying the hops. All came out very well.

97% Maris Otter
3% Crystal 60L
7.1 oz hops for late additions staring the last 20 minutes and a big whirlpool
No dry hopping
35 IBUs
7.5 SRM
Cl:S04 / 70:140 mash pH: 5.4
Nottingham under 68F.

I ended up brewing the following recipe today:

7# Pilsner (Swaen /Bel.)
4# plus 2 ounces of Pale Malt (1886 Malt House/US)
12 ounces Crystal 20L (Breiss)

Mash at 152*. BIAB.

1/2 ounce Amarillo (60)
1/2 ounce Amarillo (30)
1 ounce Amarillo flame out

I pitched a yeast cake, 4th generation Vermont Giga Yeast.
Original Gravity is 1.055. 6 gallons into the fermenter.

I plan to dry hop with 2 ounces of Amarillo & package 5 gallons in a keg.

I made a grapefruit honey ale with Amarillo hops exclusively, to the tune of about 27 or 28 IBUs; it was great, along with some grapefruit zest (zest from 2 grapefruits per gallon, dried and very lightly toasted in the oven).

I appreciate all the responses. I saved a couple of the recipes for future brews. This weekend I am planning a Peeper clone from the Maine Brewing Company. As always, feedback from the folks at homebrew talk forum is very helpful. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back