Recipe Request for a Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So here goes:

I have a friend of mine who has steadfastly hated on every beer I've made. (mostly pale ales, a couple of wheat beers) However, his favorite beer is New Castle. What I'm looking for is a good brown ale recipe that I can use to silence my most ardent critic. Any good honey brown or regular brown ale recipe would be greatly appreciated.

With my current setup, I can only do extract brewing, and even then only in 2.5 gallon batches, but any five gallon extract recipe will be fine. Thanks in advance!

I don't have time to type it up for you right now, but see if you can find Jamil Zainesheff's "Nutcastle" recipe, from the book Brewing Classic Styles. It is a northern english brown in the style of newcastle. It is an extract recipe w/ steeping grains, with a 7 gal boil volume, but I'm sure you could make the adjustments to do it as a partial boil.

Haven't tried it personally, just what came to mind.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I perused the Brown Ale database and didn't find anything I really liked...

Thanks for the recommendations though!

Dont take this too seriously but there is a bit of seriousness in it. If your firend doesnt like any of your homebrews and his favorite beer is newcastle you should
A: Find a better friend
B: Dont give him any more beer
C: Sear his tastebuds with a torch and hope they grow back right...lol

Sorry, should have mentioned that I perused the Brown Ale database and didn't find anything I really liked...

Check the American Ale database as that includes the American Brown Ale category....

<---------------------------- or look here ;)

Latest posts

Back