Recipe needed for Belgian, American, English, Irish, Swiss in one beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nujjer

Reaction score
I know y'all can help me with some ideas for a novel beer.
I have a group of friends from the five nations mentioned above. One day we will party. I will bring the beer.

Any ideas?

BTW I don't want to limit the creativity of this awesome forum, but I don't have a fermenting fridge, so no cold fermented lagers I'm afraid.

Dude...I got u covered. I put this together on beersmith (5 gal)...kind of a hoppy brown ale

OG 1.059
IBU 24
SRM 19

Belgian pale malt 10 lb
Thomas fawcett (English) crystal 60 -- 1/2 lb
Thomas fawcett flaked barley 0.2 lb
Thomas fawcett roasted barley 0.25 lb
Thomas fawcett crystal wheat 0.25lb
Mash at 153
Cascade 5/8 oz 60 min
2 oz centennial 5 mins
2 oz Amarillo 0 mins
Depending on how long it takes you to chill and whirlpool this could add another 10 IBUs in my experience.

Irish ale yeast white labs - WLP004

Wait 4 days after yeast pitch and toss in 2 oz swiss cacao nibs
5 days post pitch toss in 2 oz El Dorado.

I wouldn't let the dry hop sit more than 3 days...should be ready to package after 8... Try to do closed transfer and closed dry hop if possible and avoid transferring the hops from the kettle to the fermenter.

if u guys can't get together u could each brew a different way of making a multinational beer and send each other a 6 pack! :))

Last edited:
I've had to do something a bit similar to this myself. The way I'd look at this is that US, UK and Belgium are easy, in that a wide range of hops, yeast and malt from them are all readily available. Ireland is a bit more of a constraint, and Switzerland is going to be almost impossible.

So you start with Switzerland and then Ireland, and fit the others round them.

The obvious answer for Switzerland is Fermentis S-189 yeast, from the Hürlimann brewery in Zürich. Yes it's a lager yeast, but you can ferment it at ale temperatures just fine. I guess otherwise you could think in terms of Alpine herbs like gentian, or adding slugs of something like Appenzeller, but S-189 is the obvious choice.

That knocks out the option of Irish and Belgian yeasts, but that's OK. Ireland does produce malt - you can get Minch malt from the Homebrew Company in Ireland, which a lot of British brewers use. They went through hell a few months ago in the aftermath of Brexit, I assume things have settled down by now. Or perhaps something like bog myrtle (aka Myrica, sweet gale). But if the two most difficult countries can provide you with a clean yeast and pale malt, then you're laughing, you can make almost any style. Alternatively, you could nominate Ireland to dictate the style, either a dry stout or red ale, or at least represent it with roast barley which is the distinctive ingredient of Irish stouts.

Malts from Belgian companies like Castle and Dingemans are fairly easy to find in the UK, perhaps the most distinctive is Special B, which might be interesting if you're going the dark beer route but you don't want to overdo it. Belgium does have a small hop industry and you may be able to find their hops, but they are generally just English or German varieties and not particularly exciting. The other obviously "Belgian ingredient" is candi sugar which eg the Malt Miller has a good selection of. And even without Belgian yeast you can have a Belgian influence on the recipe with wit-type ingredients like coriander and orange peel to take it in a Blue Moon kind of direction. Or you can claim you're aiming for De Koninck, which is effectively a golden ale made with lager yeast - and could act as cover for something heading in more of a Vienna lager kind of direction, or could equally be used as a base beer to shove a load of US hops in to take it in a West Coast IPA kind of direction.

Hops are the obvious representative from the US - given that we're aiming for 80% European in this beer I wouldn't go for big personalities like Citra. I'd go for something more subtle like Mt Hood, or just use a US hop like Bravo or Columbus/CTZ for bittering, or something old-school like Cascade just to give a bit of an American edge.

And then the sky's the limit from England - there's a good chance of getting it down to county level with eg Yorkshire and Wiltshire represented by Fawcetts and Warminster malts, you can specify Goldings from either Hereford or Kent, and so on. Also don't forget the biggest component of any beer, the water. Aside from the water physically coming from England (use Tesco Ashbeck if you're in one of the Celtic nations at the moment), you could aim for a Burton or London water profile if appropriate. Even without being able to use English yeast, things like crystal malt and Goldings are distinctively English and can go in almost anything.

So I'd say your main options are :

Guinness-y with roast barley and Special B
Blue Moon-y
De Koninck-y
De Koninck-y plus lots of US hops
Some kind of gruit with gentian and bog myrtle.

Back