Recipe ingredient advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoitAHL

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to brew the extract version of the following recipe and have a couple questions.

Abysmal Stout (Bourbon “Barrel” Aged)
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.096 FG = 1.020
IBU = 40 SRM = 66 ABV = 11.5%

Ingredients
15 lbs. (6.8 kg) Golden PromiseTM malt
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) kiln coffee malt (150 °L)
1 lb. (0.45 kg) Briess Midnight Wheat malt
1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal rye malt (75 °L)
0.75 lb. (0.34 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Victory® malt
2 lbs. (0.9 kg) extra dark candi syrup (primary)
6.5 AAU Nugget hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 13% alpha acids)
6.5 AAU Nugget hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 13% alpha acids)
1 oz. (28 g) licorice root (15 min.)
1 vanilla bean (primary)
2 oz. (57 g) Bourbon-soaked American white oak cubes
Imperial A10 (Darkness) or Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or Lallemand Nottingham yeast

Extract version.
Replace the Golden PromiseTM malt from the all-grain recipe with 6.6 lbs. (3 kg) Maris Otter liquid malt extract, 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) extra light dried malt extract, and 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) Golden PromiseTM malt. The remainder of the ingredients remain the same as the all-grain version.

For some reason I can only find the "Light" version (affordable anyway) of Maris Otter LME. Will that make a huge difference?
The recipe calls for Kiln Coffee Malt. My supplier didn't carry it so recommended Simpsons Coffee Malt as a substitute. What do you think?

Thank you.

... and it looks like the "extract" version (emphasis added) could be considered ...
Replace the Golden PromiseTM malt from the all-grain recipe with 6.6 lbs. (3 kg) Maris Otter liquid malt extract, 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) extra light dried malt extract, and 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) Golden PromiseTM malt. The remainder of the ingredients remain the same as the all-grain version.
... a partial mash.

With a partial mash, the base malts should be in 152F-ish water for around 30 to 45 minutes. If there's not enough DP in the 2 lb of Golden Promise, consider replacing some/all of the 2 lb of DME with an appropriate base malt.

I respect that brand options and base malt changes can make a difference. But I brew with what I can find, or have on hand. You'll be fine.

+1 ^

I also agree that there are differences, not necessarily benefits and shortcomings, in different brands, but have never cared enough to not brew with what I can get my hands on. And that includes both price and availability reasons.

But I brew with what I can find, or have on hand. You'll be fine.
Sometimes I tend to worry too much about recipe ingredients that don't "exactly" match and what it will do to the taste. I probably wouldn't be able to taste the difference anyway.

... a partial mash.
Agreed. I have brewed a few of these converted All Grain to Partial Mash recipes which usually include a small amount of base malt. I'm just going to go with the recipe and the ingredients purchased. I'm sure it will turn out good.

Thanks again for the advice.

I have brewed a few of these converted All Grain to Partial Mash recipes which usually include a small amount of base malt. I'm just going to go with the recipe and the ingredients purchased. I'm sure it will turn out good.
Previous positive experiences are often a good predictor of success in the future.

As an aside, some people steep from flame-on until the wort gets to around 160F. That approach may would not work as well for recipes that contain base malts. :mug:

Back