Recipe Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schoenbrau

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Last fall I bought all the grain, LME, and hops for a Sour Cherry Ale. I needed a huge amount of cherries and cleaned out my local store's entire supply with the intent of returning later to get the rest I needed. Once they restocked, the price of cherries went through the roof making what would have cost about $65 for ~5 gallons about $100 and I simply can't afford that. I bought a bottle of brewer's best cherry extract but now am doubting if it'll make the beer taste how its intended to taste.
I'm hoping that the HBT community can give me some advice on alternative beers that I can make with these ingredients. Any advice or recipes would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I have:
crushed wheat malt
crushed munich malt
light malt extract (LME)
Northern Brewer Hops
Fuggle Hops
Tettnanger Hops
about 7 pounds of frozen cherries
I also have: Irish Moss, Pectic Enzyme

How about a sour cherry wit?

Pick up a Witbier yeast and maybe a pound of 6 row.

Steep the grains.
Add a pound of lme

Hop Sched:
Northern Brewer at :60
Tettnang at :30
Fuggles (and remaining LME) at :15 and Turn Off

At turn off add about 3/4 - 1 oz lemon peel

In primary a week

Rack on to cherries and let finish.

When bottling time comes around adjust taste with cherry extract maybe or just bottle.

I don't know what to tell you. I don't have experience with fruit beers and especially with Krieks. Here is one Kriek recipe on here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/lambic-style-kriek-102829/
I do know if I had grain I bought last fall especially if it was crushed last fall, I'd get all new grain. Rather have fresh than spoiled. What kind of cherries do you have? Sweet cherries or tart pie cherries? I know many recipes are best with the tart cherries including wine or mead recipes. Here is a link that used sweet cherries. http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/blog/?p=199
So basically I'd start over. Make a hefeweizen and use the Tettnanger hops with a WLP 320 and maybe a Porter to use the Northern Brewer and Fuggles hops with a Wyeast 1028. Maybe use your cherries for a wine. I don't know what else to tell you. One thing about lambics I take pause with is use of Brettanomyces which is hard to get rid of once you use it. You need to dedicate equipment just for Brett brewing after that. So I stick with non-Belgian lambic beers. Good luck.

Back