Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clanchief

Reaction score
I need a bit of help coming up with a recipe. I've looked through the database and I'm just not sure if anything that I found there will work. Let me explain my conundrum briefly:

Some very good friends of ours are having their first baby in mid-February. The husband is English and they both really like beer. They've had several of my homebrews and enjoyed them a lot. It prompted me to offer to brew them a "baby" beer. I asked what they liked, and the response was Boddington's. So I'm trying to put together something like that. My big problem is that I don't have the ability to do a nitro on it, which is what really seems to give it that distinct creamy texture that people seem to love (I'm not a huge fan personally so maybe someone who is can help me better understand).

Right now I'm trying to come up with a recipe to brew in the next week or two. Here's what I have so far, I'd really love some suggestions for ways to improve it or tweak it in order to get this beer "right".

AG
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.010

7 lbs. 8 oz. Maris Otter
8 oz. Cara-Pils
5.6 oz. Crystal 60L
2.4 oz. Chocolate

Mash 60 minutes at 152

1 oz. East Kent Goldings 45 min
1 oz. East Kent Goldings flameout

Wyeast 1098 with a 1L starter on a stir plate

Any help with this is great appreciated. Thanks.

I would bump the mash up to 154.
Cut the chocolate down to 1 ounce and maybe back the crystal down to 4 ounces.
Hops look good, but a little FWH does wonders in an ordinary bitter ... maybe a half ounce... and dial back the bittering addition to adjust the IBU.
S-04 yeast and about a 4 week primary only fermentation and you're set

Back