Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac

Reaction score
This is for a 10 gallon IPA batch..

24lbs of 2 row.
1lbs Amber malt
.5 Carapils
.5 flaked wheat

3.00 oz Simcoe 90 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 30 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 5 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Flameout

I am having second thoughts on both the grain bill and hop schedule.. I cant really add any other type of hops at the moment but I do have more Simcoe...

I could however purchase a pound or 2 more grain but would take a extra 1 1/2 hours to go to the LHBS.

Will be user US-05 yeast

What do you think? Roll with it? Get some different grain? Change the hop schedule?

What %AA are your hops? And most importantly, what IBU do you predict for this? (enter the recipe in a program like Beer Smith and it will compute that for you).

I think this would be ok, but you have a lot of early hop additions and not much later. This is a personal preference thing, but personally I like more hop flavor and aroma in my IPAs, rather than just bitterness. I'd probably include more flavor hops, and perhaps dry hop as well.

The grain bill likewise depends on your goal. That's a pretty neutral bill you have there. I usually like a little more malt body in an IPA, so I typically include some crystal or maybe a little Munich, but what you have will be fine.

I changed it up a bit.. I took a trip to the LHBS before starting this brew. It is looking like

24lbs of 2 row.
1lbs Amber malt
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Crystal 60
.5 flaked wheat
2.00 oz Zeus 14.5 % 90 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 13%30 min
2.00 oz Simcoe 13% 5 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 13% Flameout

Going to dry hop 1oz Simcoe in each of my carboys and possibly some Amarillo..I dont have the Amarillo at the moment..

Latest posts

Back