Recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all my parents sent me a recipe for the bitter that as produced in my home town in England until the early 70s.
The recipe as written in 1970 for the book and i need a little help with conversion to modern malts, please help me recreate a taste from home.This is all the info i have from the recipe book

Barnsley Bitter OG1037- 5 GALLON BATCH.

5.5LB Crushed pale malt
3oz Crushed crystal
3oz Flaked maize
8oz Brewing sugar
2oz Fuggles hops
1oz Goldings hops
1tsp Irish moss
1tsp Brewers caramel
2oz Brewers yeast
2oz Brown sugar for carbonation.
3 Gallons of brewing ater for bitter profile.

1. Raise the water temp to 60c stir in crushed grain
Raise temp to 66c and leave for 1.5 hours

2. mash out/sparge to get 4 gallons of sweat wort.

3, Boil wort with the fuggles hops and 3/4 oz of the goldings hops for 1.5 hours, Dissolve brewing sugar in a little hot water and add during the boil and irish moss in last 15 minutes.

4. Switch off heat stir in remaining goldings hops and allow to soak 15 minutes, chill wort and top up to fermentor amount with cold water.

5. Add yeast when at room temps and ferment 4-5 days until specific gravity reads 1010, leave for another 7 days Rack to barrel ontop of brown sugar, allow 7 days conditioning before sampling

I have got most of it but if some of you guys could provide your genius to this it would be much appreciated.
What is brewers caramel?

My parents are coming to visit in October and want to really get this brewed for my Dad to taste.

Thanks in advance.

"Brewer's Caramel is simply caramel coloring, in other words, caramel syrup. This is easily made at home and there are a lot of recipes out there. Sinamar is a readily available all malt "caramel color" from Weyermanns, made from their Carafe malt."

The Crystal could be any color, and the Brewing Sugar is simply corn sugar...

Cheers!

I would just do it as a full volume boil, if your equipment is up to it. I don't think you gain anything from diluting concentrated wort as directed.

I haven't plugged it into brewing software, but this looks like a 3-3.5% bitter to me, with maybe a somewhat higher IBU than you'd expect from the style.

I would probably use a yeast like 1968 for this.

I would just do it as a full volume boil, if your equipment is up to it. I don't think you gain anything from diluting concentrated wort as directed.

I haven't plugged it into brewing software, but this looks like a 3-3.5% bitter to me, with maybe a somewhat higher IBU than you'd expect from the style.

I would probably use a yeast like 1968 for this.

Definatley doing a full volume boil, i have a brewers edge mash and boil so hopefully this will come out great..

Barnsley my home town is in the heart of Yorkshire, England, it was an old mining town until the mid 1980s, when after the miners strike all, 112 mines in the Barnsley area closed.

I was think of using Yorkshire ale yeast or Whitbread ale.

Back