Recipe Help needed - In India and limited ingredients on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prince49

Reaction score
I am currently based in Bangalore, India.

When I moved here, I brought along a few PM recipes, but all of those have been brewed and now the only ingredients I now have access to are the ones available at http://www.brewof.com/. As you will see on the website, I have limited access to specialty malts, so need recipes using just the base malts available

I am interested in doing a partial mash of a blonde and a trippel. Can someone recommend a couple of recipes that would get me going?

Help is much appreciated.

Try a couple smash brews with 2Row or Munich and i see they have Cascade or Hallertauer is always nice.

those choices might be nice for a Dubbel. 2-row, munich, special (b) and caramel 120, a bit of choco wheat... pitch t-58 and ferment at 20C
pearle and goldings?
in lieu of dark candy syrup, just boil down a few litres of wort to a thicker syrup. won't be the same, but better than nothin. ;)

A tripel is easy - you can just go with 80% pilsner malt/20% sugar shooting for an OG of 1.080 or so. You could use the styrian goldings or styrian aurora, or one of the German hops, with bittering addition at 60 to get about 30 IBU. I like to also do an oz or so at 5 min. You could add a little wheat if you want. For a blonde again go with pilsner base but I would drop the gravity more like 1.065-.1070, drop the sugar percentage to say 10%, then add in a lb or so of munich. Similar hopping, maybe slightly less bittering. Looks like safbrew T-58 is your choice for these. Let us know if you need more help with the numbers - I'd suggest Brewer's friend or other calculator if you don't have a regular program you use.

At least the choices aren't horrible, I've seen worse. You've got some noble and noble-like hops, some American, plus Fuggles so you should be able to find subs for just about any recipe with those. Yeast is all dry but they've got the basics (interesting no 05 but it looks like that Australian ale yeast is their neutral yeast), and base malts are pretty well covered. Where it will be hard is finding a sub for things like darker crystals and roasted barley/black malt as it looks like the chocolate wheat is the only dark roasted malt and they've got just one crystal at 45EBC (about 20L). You should look into toasting some base malt as a sub for things like biscuit/victory. I've also seen an article showing how to make home made crystal-like malt around.

If you post some other recipes you want to try along the way folks can help you with the best subs. Good luck!
:mug:

Edit: just saw you are partial mashing. So in my examples you do as much pilsner as you can fit (+/- the wheat and munich) then make up the rest with the LME or DME. Also just noticed that special malt - like te-wa said looks to be special B so at least you have one other crystal to work with.

Back