Recipe Help/Critique - APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted75

Reaction score
Hi all. Hoping for some guidance and help here - I'm aiming for a roughly 5.5% hoppy easy drinking pale ale /hoppy blonde ale for a summer bachelor party. This is my first iteration and I'm planning to brew a few more versions to get it where I want it to be. Definitely would like to make sure the end product isn't too thin (thus the rye & wheat additions).

90% 2 row
5% rye
5% white wheat

Mash at 155

Bitter with around .25oz of nugget

Flavor, aroma & dry hop with citra, amarillo, cascade, simcoe.
I have 4 oz citra, and 2 of amarillo, cascade, & simcoe

Something like:

15 min: .25 citra, .25 simcoe
10 min: .25 citra, .25 simcoe
5 min: .5 citra, .5 simcoe, .5 amarillo

Flameout/whirlpool: 1 oz cascade, 1 oz citra, .5 amarillo

Dry hop: 1oz citra, 1 oz simcoe in primary and then 1 oz citra and 1 oz amarillo in the keg

ferment with US-05 in the low to mid 60's.

Any critiques and suggestions are welcome. Too heavy on the hops? Should I include some C40 or C20 in there?

Thanks

I like the grain bill. You might consider a touch of something darker if you want a little more of the APA spectrum rather than blonde--a little biscuit or victory, or even some Munich or Vienna. But this would be good I think. 155 mash is wise also.

I think this hop schedule would work, but it's a little busy. There is little difference between the 15 and 10 addition, or the 10 and 5. I would probably just do a bittering addition, a 15-minute flavor addition, and then flameout and dry hop.

How many IBUs are are you targeting? Eyeballing, it looks like this would be more on the blonde side than the APA side.

I think especially for a beer that is more modest on hops and strength, you might not want to use four or five different varieties of hops. If you use a larger amount of just two varieties for flavor and aroma, you might get more of their own distinct character.

Looks good though. What time of year is the bachelor party? This looks like it'd be great to drink in most parts of these great United States by, say, late May. Man I wish it would stop snowing already!

Thanks for the feedback - party is in August so lots of time to try out a few variations and if I need to have the early versions on tap during the first half of the summer so be it.

I hear you on the hop bill being complicated. As I wrote it up I had the same thoughts - perhaps I'll drop the cascade and the 10 minute addition at least. Probably will keep the IBUs on the relatively lower side to make it more of a crowd pleaser. What would you think of 30-40?

60 minute bittering w/ nugget
15 min: .25 citra, .25 simcoe
5 min: .75 citra, .75 simcoe, .5 amarillo

Whirlpool: 1 oz citra, .5 amarillo
and keep the dry hop and keg hop at 4oz

Thanks

Anyone else have any thoughts. Planning to brew on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back